Sunday, November 27, 2011

The New Mass

Hey, everyone!  Guess what?  Today, the Roman Catholic Church is staring the brand-new English language mass here in America!

So, some people are going to be very surprised when they go to church this week and find out that a lot of the language has changed.  We're keeping the exact same structure of the mass, of course, but the words that we'll be using are slightly different.

All in all, it's going to be pretty awesome.  The prayers are going to be closer to the original Latin text, which is more poetic than the version we've been using for the past thirty years.  The language is going to be fancier, as well, which is a good thing.

So let's hope everything goes well with the transition to the new mass.  This is happening in every Catholic Church here in America, so no matter which state you're in, you'll be getting the new mass.  We had our first new mass here last night, and it went pretty well, although some people accidentally said the old responses.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

My church has been preparing for this for a while, and many people made some slips (including me...). It's going to take a while to get used to the new mass.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that happened to mine. We kept saying the old ones and our preist kept correcting us.

Becki said...

At our Church, we actually did pretty well today. But when we made a mistake, we sounded really scrambled.
It's also cool because now we can say some of the prayers in Latin. :) Latin = cool!

Miriam said...

I'm kind of glad my church has always been in English, haha. I wouldn't want to learn a new language that hardly anyone around here speaks just to understand what people are trying to teach me. That's certainly interesting, though. :) I hope it goes well for all of you Catholic readers!

Kira said...

We haven't made the switch yet, but as a student currently taking Latin, I can't wait to say phrases in Latin regularly at church! :-D

Anonymous said...

We already changed all that a while ago here in canada! It's so akward and the priest keeps raging at us. :)

Anonymous said...

Hooray for accuracy!

Anonymous said...

Wait, I have a question. Will this take effect on all English-speaking masses around the world?

Alexandra said...

We failed at saying the new text...XD there was a jumble of old and new in my parish..>XP

Anonymous said...

my parish spent months preparing for it, but most of us still said "and also with you" instead of "and with your spirit." then our priest stopped us and made us say it again. :D

Michelle said...

If it makes anyone feel better, this is happening in every English speaking country, not just America. :) We've been preparing for weeks, and most of the parish are able to follow. However, according to my dad, this "new" version of the English mass is actually an old version.

Anonymous said...

I miss the old version :( At least especially certain parts. Like, "And with your spirit" just sounds so specific. Like may the Lord be with your spirit and your spirit ONLY. Like if someone says to you, "don't worry, I'll be there." And you're like, "really!?" And they say, "well, in spirit." It's just not the same. I guess before I liked the sort of physical sense that the Lord could have been with me right then. But now it's as if he exists only in my mind or something. I don't know... I guess I sound crazy.. for me at least, the new wording just makes it seem less tangible, less personal even, than before.