Saturday, November 5, 2011

Michael's Worst 12 Games List

I am working on a collaboration project, to identify the 50 worst games of all time.  The list has 112 games on it so far, and we're trying to narrow it down.

I was asked to pick my personal "Worst 10 Games" from the list.  There were only 12 games on the list that I actually played and disliked to some extent, so I made it a "Worst 12" list instead.  Here's the Worst 12, from best to worst.
  1. Metroid: Other M (Wii)
  2. Super Mario Sunshine (GCN)
  3. Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (DS)
  4. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GCN)
  5. Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town for Girls (GBA)
  6. Nancy Drew: Message in a Haunted Mansion (GBA)
  7. Santa Claus Saves the World (GBA)
  8. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (DS)
  9. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)
  10. Athena (NES)
  11. Bart Versus the Space Mutants (NES)
  12. Mega Man Xtreme 2 (GBC)
I came up with that order by asking "Would I rather play Game X or Game Y?", instead of by asking, "Is Game X worse than Game Y?".  The results surprised me, to say the least.  The final four are games that I think are bad, but I don't actively dislike them.  I just never play them because they're not fun.  The games that I do actively dislike (Wind Waker, Wind Waker and Wind Waker) ended up getting placed closer to the "good games" end of the spectrum.  Very odd how that turned out.

In the next phase, I think I get to vote on bad games that I haven't played, such as Monkey Island 4 or Quest 64.  That should be more interesting.

7 comments:

Miriam said...

Aww, what's wrong with Super Mario Sunshine? It's one of the few non-ND/nerdy games I've beaten..
Some people think the voice acting is dumb, and I guess you could say that it goes on for a rather long time and has some pretty frustrating levels, but I think it was a cool game. I was able to beat it, so it wasn't *that* hard, haha.

Anonymous said...

Interesting choices. Are you gonna add any explanations for your choices? I'm curious.

Invisible said...

A Nancy Drew game on the list?!

Anonymous said...

@ Invisible
It's the GBA version of the game, which was shorter and not as fun. If I recall correctly (seeing as I haven't played the game in a long time), there wasn't any voice acting in it. Also, the graphics in the game aren't great (same as the original PC graphics, but I disliked those as well). There are many differences that sets this game apart from the original PC version.

Diana said...

Kind of surprised that Apollo Justice beats Miles Edgeworth considering that you rant about AJ nonstop (not a bad thing!) and I've never seen/heard you rant about AAI...or am I reading the list wrong?

Kira said...

I agree with Miriam! WHAT'S WRONG WITH SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE? My fondest memories from my childhood included watching my brother and his friends take turns, trying to beat the levels. I tried my hand at the game later on, but found it to be kind of hard, but I DID like the parts when you could use Yoshi. :-D

I know that you hate Wind Waker too, with a passion, but I am a fan of all Zelda games. I found the graphics and the storyline to be unique in this game. It was also the most FUN Zelda game to watch my brother play ... great memories.

Invisible said...

@ Anonymous Now that makes sense, Thanks.