Monday, October 3, 2011

School Dances

Two Fridays ago, I helped chaperone a school dance at my old middle school.  It was a really weird experience for me.  The last time I went a school dance was when I was in middle school, back in 1999.  It was so strange to be back at a dance in the exact same place.

Personally, I was never a big fan of school dances.  I was really short in middle school, and all the girls were about a foot taller than me.  That made dancing kind of awkward, to say that least; it's hard to put your hand on the shoulder of someone much taller than you.

Also, I seem to remember that one dance, I brought a murder mystery along with me, so I could read instead of dance.

Watching the dance was rather interesting.  Mostly, there were groups of 6-10 boys, and groups of 6-10 girls, and these groups just moved the gym.  That is, the boys and girls didn't really talk much to each other.  They were mostly in separate groups the whole time.  On rare occasion, the boys and girls would dance.

I think when I was in middle school, we did a little bit more dancing.  Not much more, though.

It was kind of weird, watching the school dance and remembering how school dances terrified me when I was younger.  I was frightened by the tall girls; I remember that it took me two whole dances to work up the nerve to ask a girl to dance with me.  In retrospect, there was nothing to be scared about, because the boys at the dance didn't really dance that much, or deal with the girls.  They mostly just stood around and listened to the loud music.

11 comments:

Hadley said...

lol if i was in middle school back then,i would automatically say yes if you asked me to dance! lol poor Michael,none of the girls wanted to dance with him. :(LOL this is completely off topic,but i wonder if any of the forth grade that he's teaching regonized him from his walkthroughs?

Anonymous said...

@Hadley It would be funny it would be like "Wait... is that Michael Gray from those walkthroughs?!" I would love to see that

Hadley said...

@anoymous lol me too. they would be like,"OMG,i watch your walthroughs,and my mom says your wierd!" at least my mom thinks hes wierd... i don't know why.

Anonymous said...

two things

1) you are dealing with teenagers who are very boring alot of the time

2) I bet they are not very hyper

Miriam said...

I went to a school dance in 8th grade, but haven't had much of a desire to go to one since.
Although, I may end up going to the dance where you match your date's outfit later this year, since my friend and I want to go as Link and Zelda. :)

Other than that, school dances are lame. Mormon dances for the win! :D

Sammy said...

I went to a school dance when I was 12- It was at a beautiful reception centre and It was so fun! Everyone was really open to dancing with each other- and that's where I had my first kiss!

Anonymous said...

I remember at my school dances they divided the gym in half with a curtain so one side was the dance floor and the other side was for the boys who didn't want to dance to play basketball.
Needless to say, this resulted in boys sneaking over to the curtain and pelting the dancers with basketballs all night.
Oh, middle school....
~Emily

Balin said...

My middle school didn't have dances, so my first dance was homecoming in 10th grade. Right at the age where male hormones rule their minds. But there were some good memories from that.

Balin said...

Let me clarify: There were some good memories from the dance, not the hormones.

Hadley said...

how do you remove comments from this thing? just curious.

Kira said...

I went to a lot of school dances myself in sixth grade, and one in seventh grade, but I pretty much stopped at about eighth grade. I remember that in sixth grade, it was really awkward. I was the tallest girl and the tallest kid in my small class (I went to private school until high school) with the exception of this huge kid close to six feet tall. Anyway, I was terrified of all the boys, and it was weird to dance with boys heads shorter than me. Of course it got loads better in high school, when the boys were just as tall as me, or taller. :-)