Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Hobbit

So, maybe I don't like The Lord of the Rings, but The Hobbit was pretty good.

It kind of bugs me that they're making a Hobbit movie after The Lord of the Rings movies.  I mean, The Hobbit comes before Lord of the--

Wait, they're making two Hobbit movies?  Oh...so splitting up a book into two movies is a trend now, apparently.  I'm not sure how to feel about that.  From a fan's perspective, it's good because you get more material to enjoy.  From a cynic's perspective, it's bad because it's an obvious ploy to milk the public/fans for as much money as they're worth.

Maybe the "split a book into two movies" trend is just a natural extention of the "film back-to-back sequels" trend.

Anyway, the news sources seem to say that The Hobbit will star the actors from The Lord of the Rings.  That makes sense, of course.  People want to see familiar characters like Frodo again.  Plus, a lot of those actors are famous, so they're a big draw.

The problem is that, besides Gandalf, pretty much none of the Lord of the Rings characters are in The Hobbit.  How are they going to shoehorn these characters in?  It's not like they go on the adventure with Bilbo or anything.  And I think fans would be disappointed if, say, Orlando Bloom only has a three second cameo.

So...that's something I'll be interested in seeing.  Will they make the Lord of the Rings characters important to the plot of the movies, thereby not following the book so well?  Or will they follow the book faithfully, and make the Lord of the Rings characters totally irrelevant?  We'll have to wait and see.

10 comments:

3D###Boy said...

I know you like playing this individual games but why don't you try play a mmorpg? After I saw the movie a hundred times, I thinked "Hey let's try find a game maked by the movie design and story!". Ok so I typed on Google Lord of The Rings game. Then I saw this title Tho Lord of The Rings Online(LOTRO). Is pretty cool. People of your age Michael and under your age are playing this game and i really enjoy it and the updates that performed the game. You should try it.

3D###Boy said...

Remember, The Lord of The Rings Online or LOTRO for short. My character is named Brey lvl 15 Hunter.

3D###Boy said...

Oh, and in the post School Dance, I was born in 1999.

Paul said...

I think I'm on-board with them splitting it up into two movies. It worked great for the last Harry Potter book--instead of having to rush through everything and give important scenes and storylines approximately six seconds each to develop, there was actually enough time for the story to exist.

...of course, that meant we ended up with half a movie that was just Harry and Hermonie wandering through the woods, but since we also got basically an ENTIRE movie about the Battle of Hogwarts, I'll take it.

Inky said...

Honestly I was severely disappointed in the Hp movie franchise at the very end.
Ginny & Harry's love life played waay to dominant of parts in movie 6 ruining the whole intriguing reasoning and logic of why Voldemort would make only 7 horcruxes and personal life. And from there it was the "domino effect" to the movies 7-8.
I think though the Hobbit will be better because Peter Jackson will still stay in directing it, unlike the Hp series that switched directors with every movie after they kicked Chris Colombus off directing it.

Grace Amanda said...

I'm definitely interested in seeing "The Hobbit", but for slightly different reasons. Two of my favourite actors, Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, will be in the movies. So I'm pretty excited. :] I'm not a huge fan of the whole two-part movie trend, but I'm just happy that they're making another movie for "The Hobbit" at all.

Sammy said...

Apparently the third 'Hunger Games' movie will be split in two. It's stupid because the first half of that book is basically everyone living underground and not doing much. I'm a big fan, but I don't think it will work.

Hadley said...

the lord of the rings was BORING as was Harry Potter. other people may be a fan of those movies,but not me. call me crazy,but people are entitled to their own opinion. thats why Clifford's big idea of today is, "People like different things,and you can respect that!" ohmigod,my little brother is torturing me with that show!

Invisible said...

@Hadley I feel sorry for you, Clifford is not a very good show in my opinion to little kids I'm crazy.

Hadley said...

@Invisible lol i agree. i HATE that show.