Thursday, October 13, 2011

Game Prices

I've noticed that the prices of videogames, along with the prices of everything else, tend to be ridiculously high.
And I'm not even talking about the expensive games (yet).  I'm talking about cheaper games, which are apparently not cheap enough for me.

For example, I recently had the option of buying Awakening: The Dreamless Castle for the PC or the iPhone.  The PC version is the better one; it has HD graphics, a better hint system and good controls. The iPhone version of the game, however, was seven dollars cheaper.  So I bought the iPhone version.

Sure, the touchscreen controls aren't as good, and the picture quality is visibly diminished. But I just saved seven dollars.  I think the moral of the story is that I'm willing to sacrifice game quality if it means a lower price.  That's a sign of games being overpriced, or me being cheap.  (Or both).

With DS games, I had the same sort of problem buying Nintendo games.  Most DS games are $30, but all the Nintendo games starring Mario are $35.  I had to ask myself, "Is it really worth paying an extra five dollars, just for Mario?"  And in the end, I always ending up buying something cheaper, like a GBA game.

Now I'm wondering if the $20 DS games sold noticeably better than the $30 DS games.  I think it depends on the game, obviously, but I wouldn't be surprised if the overall trend shows that the cheaper games sell better.

Now for the console games.  $50?  $60?  Are those prices for real?  That's not the price of a videogame; that's my food budget for an entire week.  There's no way I can afford to buy games like those at full price, except with a Black Friday discount.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the DS games cost more than the Wii or 3DS games. But that sucks you had to pay 5 dollars more for the DS games. That's my opinion.

Robyn said...

And this is why I love pawn shops and resale shops. No joke. I can get games for less than $10, and most of the time I can get them for less than $5. Now, granted, they aren't brand new but I don't care about that. The money I save buying those games means I can afford to buy the games I don't want to wait on. Just a suggestion :-)

Resale and pawn shops are also awesome places to buy DVDs incredibly cheap. Again, as long as you don't care if they are used, you can find them for less than $5, and some for around $1.

If you are one of those people who absolutely must have brand new games and DVDs, then the only suggestion I have is to hunt around online. You'd be surprised at what you can find sometimes.

Invisible said...

High prices, that's what the U.S. is coming to.

Sammy said...

If you think thast's bad, spare a thought for Australians(and I'm sure a lotof other countries) DS games go for $50 and console games from $80. High prices in the US? pfft. until recently the itunes store was selling apps for $1.19. What a stupid price!
(AUD and USD are pretty much the same)

Beth said...

I'm ashamed to say this, but I... I spent fifty dollars on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part One: The Video Game for the Wii with my birthday money. But now that I think about it, it wasn't that worth it. I mean, yeah, the graphics were nice, and the plot was pretty similar to the movie, but it frustrated the heck out of me. I think I also spent 45 dollars on Super Mario Galaxy 2. And that wasn't worth it, either. My point is, don't be like me. I'm not a great buyer.
And I agree about all of those games being overpriced. I wanted to get the Ocarina of Time on my Wii from the Nintendo store and it was like 35 dollars! I also wanted to get a 20 dollar Game Cube controller so I could play the game (they don't sell the classics anymore). Put 'em together, and I would've paid 55 dollars just to play Zelda, when I could go over to my friend's house and play it there for free, or watch your walkthrough for it! It's absolutely ridiculous!