Sunday, October 9, 2011

Cynicism Doesn't Work

I sometimes meet a lot of cynics and skeptics, people who try to doubt everything or make fun of everything.  I think the main problem with this philosophy--besides for the fact that people who adhere to it tend to be arrogant jerks--is that it's inconsistent.

I meant, if you're a true skeptic and you really doubt everything, the first thing you should doubt is the skeptical method.  And if you're a cynic, the first thing you should be cynical about is cynicism.  I mean, you never hear lifelong cynics say things like this:

Noah: (cynically) Oh, yeah, being cynical.  That's going to make a difference.

Other philosophical methods have the problem of being inconsistent, in that they follow basic principles but don't apply these principles to the principles themselves.  Here, I'm thinking of subjectivism and pragmatism and moral relativism.

Subjectivism says that everything is subjective.  What's good to Person X may not be good to Person Y.  People will jump into subjectivism a lot when you try to ask why a particular piece of art has positive qualities.  My problem with subjectivism has always been that the premise of subjectivism--"everything is subjective"--is put forth as an objective statement, not a subjective one.  It has to be an objective statement, or else their philosophy has a weak grounding, but that's still ridiculous because the premise of subjectivism dispoves subjectivism.  They should be more honest and change the premise of subjectivism to "everything is subjective...except for this premise".

Another problem I have with subjectivism/pragmatism is that it usually breaks the law of non-contradiction, one of the basic logical principles.  And furthermore...

Hey, where did all the non-philosophy majors go?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha!

3D###Boy said...

hummm.... I am neuter. Everybody can be sometimes cynic or skeptic. I mean, is good to be a little from everything don't you think? Ok, i don't mean that you need to be a little bit drunked and a little bit at smoking side. But sometimes if your not skeptic you may hurt someone or do something wrong the same fact at being cynic. But to be Honest, I'm a little bit cynic. I'm always amused of everything and I like to make people laugh all the time. Lol!!..........uhhh. But sometimes I am very very IDK like....???....well.... I fell to fight with somebuddy. But this stopped at school after I started grade 7 this year. Well IDK what I am. I think I'm not skeptic and not cynic. I'm nothing from this. Yeah that's right. I'm just a 12 years boy who likes to be silly sometimes and happy and who likes to make people by happy all the time, and he sometimes fells like his not in "his waters". Well that's all for now kids. Bye....Lol!

3D###Boy said...

And Michael, don't bother your self with being skeptic or cynic. It will make you maybe hate this type of people, or you will become like them. Just be how God made you to be. And don't think eaven a second that you are maybe skeptic or cynic. You just like make people fell happy that's all. You're a wonderful guy.
And remember that God made you special and he loves you very much.

3D###Boy said...

Oh, and tomorrow guys NANCY DREW: ALIBI IN ASHES IS AVAILABEL!!!!! HURRRAY!!!!!

Balin said...

3D###Boy: I think the issue Michael is dealing with is people who are skeptical about EVERYTHING...except skepticism. There is a healthy level of skepticism; that's how people avoid being scammed or duped. But if you doubt everything (except that everything must be doubted), that's not only illogical but unhealthy to life.

Hadley said...

@3D###Boy Um,Alibi in Ashes isn't availible until the 18th....

Sammy said...

Um, yeah I lost you at 'inconsistent'.

3D###Boy said...

Aha, well i don't doubt everything just some things that need to be doubted. I'm just doubting the fact that I'm not too little(in height I talk) to be grade 7, and I doubt this thing that everybody thinks on the web that I am a much older guy that is stupid and dosen't know what he talks. No I don't say you are that type of guys that are very unconscious about with who are they talking. Well I think I got the idea guys. Thx for helping.

3D###Boy said...

Hey this thing with skeptical and cynical.... I don't get it. Can some buddy explain me more?

Anonymous said...

I also like it when someone says, "There is no absolute truth." My reply: "Oh, is that true?"

N00dl3G@1 said...

Noah from Total Drama, right? I remember him saying that line- thanks for referencing a great series!

Beth said...

What?