Friday, September 23, 2011

iPhone Games Recap

Thanks for all the iPhone help yesterday, everyone.  The phantom apps have disappeared, like they've been attacked by the Ghostbusters.

It'll probably be a while before I go looking for more apps.  I love how games for the iPhone cost about one to five dollars, compared to $50-$60 PlayStation games.  But really, I want to finish playing the games I already have, before buying a bunch of new ones.  Since my free time is limited, this will take long enough as it is.

Speaking of which, you might remember that over a month ago, I wrote about my attempt to find some good adventure games for the iPhone.  I bought two games, but the experience was really a hit-or-miss.
Nick Chase: A Detective Story was good on the computer, but the iPhone version suffers from really bad controls.  As in, you'll probably have to skip over half the puzzles, because the controls make them impossible to solve.  But wait, it gets better!  When you skip a puzzle, the game also skips the cutscene following the puzzle, so you miss out on plot points and have no idea what's going on!  I give it a 2 out of 10.  PC version, 6 out of 10.

Awakening: The Dreamless Castle was good on the computer, and almost as good on the iPhone.  The porters got the controls working properly, even during challenges where it's really important to tap in just the right spot. My only complaint would be about the graphics quality, because I know they have an HD version of the game.  They also sort of messed up the in-game hint system, so it's less useful than the PC version.  I'd like to complain that most of the puzzles were repeats/variations on earlier puzzles, but really, that didn't bother me at all when playing the game.  I give it a 7 out of 10, PC version 8 out of 10.

I might as well rate Nick Chase 2: The Deadly Diamond (PC), while I'm at it.  I bought it because I liked the first game, but the sequel was just ugh.  First off, they got rid of all the great voice acting.  They also used a number of programming "tricks", such as making you revisit a location multiple times and copy/pasting things directly from the first game.  And worst of all, the sequel switches genres on you, so you're expecting another adventure game, and you end up with a hidden objects game.  Argh!  The plotline was good, though.  4 out of 10.

2 comments:

Hadley said...

Um,Michael? Why does it say you posted this at 9:13 AM? It's almost 1:00,and I looked to see if you posted something at 11:30,you didn't. So how was this posted at 9:13?

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting the iPod Touch(: Did you like the Nancy Drew Mobile Mysteries? Sorry that some of the games didn't work out): I'm sure that there will be better ones. Oh, and by the way, can you do some more fanfics? I love your fanfics!