Thursday, September 8, 2011

Cooking for Myself

I recently moved into a new parish.  I'll be living in the rectory, with three priests, for the next nine months.  It's going to take me a little while to adjust to the living situation here.
First off, now I have to cook for myself.  If you've watched enough sitcoms, you've seen the cooking episode.  You know, the one where the guy has to cook for himself for the first time, and he has no idea what he's doing, and he makes hilarious mistakes, like using Coca Cola in place of baking soda. That was the subplot of I Love Lucy's well-known vitameatavegamin episode, as I recall.

Anyway, that sitcom episode is my life now.  For dinner last night, I cooked macaroni and cheese, because it's a nice, simple dish I've made dozens of times before.  But somehow, I managed to get cheese all over the counter, and cleaning it up was a nightmare.

Everyone is on their own when it comes to food, because there is no way we will ever agree on what kind of food to get.  One guy likes exotic food, while I suspect one of the other guys secretly lives on frozen pizza.  We're all bachelors for life, so there's no need for us to get super-fancy when cooking food, except when we have guests over, of course.

It's my first week, so I decided to play it safe.  Oatmeal and/or an apple every day for breakfast, a sandwich every day for lunch, and dinner is one of various options: mac and cheese, Bush's baked beans, carrots and frozen pizza.  Oh, and I have applesauce, but someone else put that away in the kitchen while I was unpacking groceries, and now I have no idea where it is.

The food budget for the four of us is about $500, which equals $20 per day, per person.  I was worried that I would go overbudget, but then I did some quick math.  A Big Mac costs about four dollars, and four times three is twelve, so I can have three meals a day, no problem!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Need an easy, cheap recipe that will give you enough leftovers for the whole week?

In an oven-safe pan mix together 1 cup rice, 1 can cream of mushroom soup (Campbell's or something like that), one packet dry onion soup mix (store brand is fine) and two cups water. Then set in 4-6 pieces of chicken. You can use any cut you want,just don't use boneless/skinless pieces because they'll get too dry.
Cover the pan with foil and put in the oven at 350 for about half an hour, basically until all the water has been absorbed by the rice.

Super easy, and you can make enough for everyone in one dish!

~Emily

Flashman85 said...

This is exactly my cooking mentality, except I add Spaghetti-O's to the mix.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with it!!!! ;D I know this is REALLY random since this is about cooking but...have u played or watched vid's of Final Fantasy VII??? That's an AWESOME, but sad game!!!!!! It has one of the most saddest and most shocking death's in ALL of video game history!!!!! O.O T_T There's also several sequels to it such as "Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core" for the PSP which is my favourite even though I haven't played it b4...lol G2G!!!!

Inky said...

You're totally right! If you save that money your spending so frugally on just BigMac's...You'll be able to {maybe} pay off that medical bill in you'll be indebted to with all that money you saved! The bill will probably match your astronomical cholesterol highs after your short life of eating nothing but bigmacs...

Inky said...

But more realistically, if you can't pay it off with all the money you saved at McD's, your congregation will organize a fundraiser to help with your surgery that will suck out all the unhealthy oils and fats that have clogged your arteries and are pumping pure McD's fryer oils to your heart versus blood anymore.

Inky said...

Also just think! In the next 9 months I have no doubt that you will be a great priest, but you will also look like the national known St.Nicholas {whom we all love and adore just as equally as much as you!} And probably share more then one similarities...A good heart, {maybe not in the physical sense, but at least where it counts.}A jolly demeanor. Oh yeah!
I almost forgot! The ability with to slide down the skinniest of chimneys' with all the grease from BigMac's that have genetically altered your body permanently!
Sadly though, one characteristic you'll not share with St. Nick is the ability to live for centuries, because unlike him you don't live in the North Pole where there are no McD food chains.
I will pray for you. :)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE LUCY IS HILAIRIOUS!!!!!! :D

Anonymous said...

Haha. It's cool i could live off of grilled cheese!

Anonymous said...

You can also make a tv dinner if you get bored, like a lean cuisine , or a Smart One. Hamburgers, hot dogs etc.

Diana said...

Lean Cuisine is my suggestion, those can be pretty good. or Hambuger Helper is pretty straightforward...

Anonymous said...

um,i don't think anyone even likes mushroom soup. but michael,why not just eat a hot pocket? lol. bot they are easy to make,and they taste good,so why not?

Lynniepoo87 said...

Have a nice bowl of American Chop Suey:

any kind of pasta (I use ziti)
Prego Tomato, Onion & Garlic sauce
2 green peppers, sliced
1 onion, diced
1 pound hamburger
Poppy Seed (trust me)
Dill seed (trust me)

*Cook the pasta
*In a separate pan, add the hamburger. While the hamburger is cooking, add the green peppers and onions.
*When the hamburger, green peppers and onions are done, add the whole jar of sauce and season with dill seed and poppy seed to taste.
*Cover and simmer for a while (to taste).
*Combine with pasta and manga!

If you use the whole box of pasta, the whole jar of sauce, a pound of hamburger, and the whole onion and green peppers, you'll have enough for 5 or 6 servings at least. And its cheap, except for buying the two spices.

Enjoy!

Teresa B. said...

Our parish has a cook for lunch. Great 3 course meals with leftovers.

You need to get invited out more often.
We'd invite you but we are in Ontario.

Unknown said...

...That's really unhealthy. Your dinner selection that is. It's okay, you'll learn over time :)

NarutoXSasuke said...

2 words: Ramen Noodles. They are AH-MAI-ZING but they have a lot of salt in them. I eat one pack every day because they are quick and easy to make =)
~Veran
Dattebayo!!