Sunday, August 28, 2011

The HD TV Argument

As I mentioned earlier, my family got an HD TV recently.  Dad has liked the HD so far, but the other day, the bill came in from Comcast.  Now Dad wants to get rid of the HD, and go back to normal D, which costs less D-dollars.

It was...interesting to see my parents debate about the HD, because neither of them are entirely sure what it is.  They have some idea that HD involves an upgrade in picture quality, but they can't really see the difference between HD and non-HD TV, because they both need glasses to see things well.

So, Mom couldn't defend the HD by saying it has better picture quality.  Instead, she argued that HD has a bigger screen than normal TV.  I don't think she realized that she was talking about widescreen TV, not HD TV.  In any case, Dad didn't seem too impressed by the "it has larger edges" argument.  Nobody wants to pay a lot of money, just to see a picture which is more stretchy.

The argument ended in a stalemate, with a definite "to be continued..." sign on it.  Maybe the HD will disappear, and maybe it won't.  Fortunately, when next month's bill comes in, I won't be at my parents' house anymore, so I won't have to be part of the great HD debate.

Question: Is there any way I can explain HD so my dad will understand it?  As I said earlier, he doesn't understand the "it has bigger picture" and "it has better quality" arguments.  I'm not sure what else there is to emphasize.

14 comments:

Diana said...

I don't really know much about HD, besides quality improvement, so no. Sorry I can't help! My family has some HD channels and some regular (we have Time Warner) and to be honest, I don't even know the difference anymore.

Anonymous said...

Do your parents have an HD TV? If they have an older model it's possible the TV isn't playing capable of showing the HD quality picture, which would explain why your parents can't tell the difference.

MegaCarolynk said...

We have HD TV's and I have to say that a lot of people who have flat screens, if you watch something on the flat screens that have those black bars around them, because they don't fit all the way, then after a while thos black bars will actually burn into the TV, which will be obvious depending on how much you watch widescreen or whatever has those black bars. So standard definition will usually have those black bars, and high definition will usually have the screen filled which won't usually leave marks unless, like the black bars, they have the logo on the TV, like Animal Planet, or Fox News, something like that. Since the logos usually don't move, they also can burn into the TV. I hope this helps you and this is from personal experience and a lot of research concerning HD TVs.

MegaCarolynk said...

Something I forgot to add in my last message, was that the marks won't show right away when you're watching TV with black bars or logos. It takes some time for it to burn in. If you're really good at protecting your TV from that, then you shouldn't have a problem for a long time. Maybe even a few years with absolutly no marks on the TV screen if you're really careful about that.

Justin said...

The difference between regular TV and HDTV is that HD looks nicer, sounds better, and it just sounds so nice to have that HD before your TV. We had HDTV this summer coz my bro was switching colleges and didn't have anywhere else to put it, and now we have regular TV. I liked the HD part, but I feel like I can almost live with just the TV. Oh look! It says HTML under this box. I wonder what HT adds to ML?

Anonymous said...

I don't really know, I just know that HD gives u better picture & sound that's all I know about it.

Anonymous said...

Sorry this isn't related to HD TV's and stuff,but I have a question for you Michel. Can you do a walkthrough of Mario and Luigi Bowser's inside story?

Sammy said...

In Australia we are having an all around switch to hd tv. You have to buy a hdtv or set top box by 2013(and earlier in some areas) if you want to continue to watch tv, so everyone has pretty much accepted hd now. :)

3D###Boy said...

I have a plasma HD+3D TV. It's SO COOL! Is 78.74 inches long(2 meters in our Country) and 77.95259 inches width(1.98 meters in our Country).

Anonymous said...

Other than higher resolution and more colors, nothing else to say about HD!

MegaCarolynk said...

Also, MUCH better picture quality depending on what size your TV is.

Anonymous said...

@MegaCarolynk
Wait are you THE MegaCarolynk? The YouTuber? Because if you are, I'm a HUGE fan of your work!!! Guys you should all see MegaCarolynk's youtube channel, she also does Nancy Drew video walkthroughs like Arglefumph, except she doesn't include commentary, but her video walkthroughs are still cool! If you have a YouTube channel then you should all subsscribe to MegaCarolynk. She's answered some of my messages and sounds like a really nice, kind person. Please subscribe to her, I'm sure that she'll appreciate it! She also takes a lot of video game requests that she'll do. I sent one to her, and she did it!!!

MegaCarolynk said...

@Anonymous
Yeah I'm MegaCarolynk, and thank you for all the great comments!

Sandra Lee's Boring Life said...

It's not pixilated at all, and it really shows all the delicate details on the tv. Think about it, would you rather have a musty old television that has no HD where you can't even tell what emotions the character is making while you are watching? It's not laggy, HDTV, and it moves at the speed of sound! The sound is better quality, not choppy and definitely not small where they are practically shouting even though it seems like whispers to you.