Sunday, July 31, 2011

Nintendo 3DS Price Cut

Big news, everyone!  Nintendo is dropping the price of the 3DS from $250 to $170.  Why?  I'm not sure, so I decided to check in with my favorite videogame news reporter, the poorly-informed movie reviewer.

Only this time, the poorly-informed movie reviewer was well-informed.  Who knew?

He says that Nintendo has had to cut their expected net profit by 82%, after bad Q2 results.  Even though the company has transitioned to supporting the 3DS, the DS system is still their biggest seller; they sold over twice as many DS systems as 3DS systems.

In short, people aren't buying 3DSes, and Nintendo has been forced to lower the price in order to try to get more buyers.

Why aren't people buying 3DSes?  Here are various reasons people have come up with:
  1. Perhaps the DS cost too much, at $250.  In comparison, the DS Lite is $125, the DSi is $150, and the Wii is $200.  People are buying Nintendo's cheaper systems as a money-saving measure.
  2. There aren't enough good games for the 3DS right now, mainly because the "big" game releases have been delayed until the holiday seasons.  There's not much in the 3DS catalog to brag about, except maybe Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
  3. People think 3D is a gimmick, and they are more than tired of it already.
  4. The DS and 3DS are so similar, that it's hard to figure out what makes the 3DS different.
  5. The casual gaming audience, which is Nintendo's main audience, is spending their money on smartphones and social gaming instead.  Angry Birds, for the win!
  6. A lot of reporters and reviewers (like me!) have made fun of the 3DS, which makes it seem unappealing in the public's eye.
  7. Nintendo sort of rushed the system out too early.  It probably would have been better if they delayed the launch by three months, when they had all the features ready.
Now, I like it when companies use deflation as a way to increase profits.  Fast food companies, take note!  This is a good idea!  But will this gamble by Nintendo actually pay off?  Or is the 3DS doomed to die, just like Nintendo's previous 3D system, the Virtual Boy?  Two rounds of price cuts couldn't save the Virtual Boy, after all...

Stay tuned, to see what happens for Nintendo in Q3! 

11 comments:

Diana said...

I know I wasn't planning on buying a 3DS, at least until Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright is released!

Anonymous said...

Why did the Nintendo Ds company make the 3Ds , if no one was gonna buy it if it was so much money? That kinda seems ridiculous to me.

PhantomGamer said...

See, I'm mad because I bought my 3DS a few weeks after it came out. Well, my dad bought it for me. It's a great console, I love it. But I felt guilty when my dad bought it, because $250 is a LOT of money to just throw out there like he did, I would have preferred him to give it to me for my birthday or Christmas. And now they're lowering it to a price I would have felt comfortable asking for the thing for Christmas anyway?!

Anonymous said...

other anonymous person,when they made it,they didn't know what the price is gonna be. and when people went to buy it,they probably didn't know what the price was gonna be.

Anonymous said...

see, i think there will more problems with it then price. I didn't buy one, but i feel bad for the people who did. They should do the thing that they with the Ipad, so who ever bought it could get there money back...

Anonymous said...

3D is so stupid. I wish they would quit making movies in 3D because it's really not that much of a difference and it costs a whole bunch more. Plus you have to wear those stupid glasses. I was perfectly fine with 2D

Sammy said...

I didn't buy one because i just dont like it.I find 3d annoying and faker looking than 2d. The only 3d movies I've ever seen are spy kids 3 (when 3d was a rare but awesome novelty) and Avatar because that was a movie that actually looked real with 3d not fake and in your face.

Winky Go Moo said...

If anything will save this system, it'll be the games. I, myself, am not going to buy a 3DS until they release Professor Layton 5.

Oh and btw, those who bought the 3DS before the price cut get 20 or so classic games free at the eStore. Google it. :)

Anonymous said...

I also think it stupid for making everything in 3d I don't really like anything in 3d I only like when you go to them parks I hope they stop making stuff in 3d soon.

Kira said...

I'm not too hot about the 3D, but that can be turned off anyway. I'm more excited about the games for it that will be out soon. Most of all, I'm glad the price has been lowered, making it a more affordable Christmas present for me. ;-)

Twizzler206 said...

I heard they were making a remake of Kingdom Hearts 1 and they are making a new one, so between those and OoT I might just get one.