Friday, July 1, 2011

British Logic Puzzles

They publish a magazine of British Logic Puzzles here in America.  Basically, they take puzzles from British logic magazines and copy/paste them into a collection for resale here.

The American British Logic Puzzles magazine, oddly enough, is printed in Canada.  I think that makes it the Canadian American British Logic Puzzles magazine.

The puzzles aren't edited in any way, so you'll see a lot of British spelling and words.  Fortunately, the magazine comes with a small English-American glossary, which lets you know things like "a rank is a place where taxis wait for passangers".

Here are the elements of British logic puzzles that stood out to me when I solved some recently:
  • British logic puzzles are more apt to have horrible puns.
  • They are much easier than American logic puzzles.  I suspect that this is because they don't reprint the harder puzzles in these collections.
  • They have illustrations for most of the puzzles.  A good deal of the puzzles involve the pictures in figuring out the puzzle solutions.
  • All the British puzzles are 3-by-3 crosshatches, besides the picture puzzles.
Professor Layton was not featured anywhere in the magazine.  Or as the British call him, "Professour Laytonne".

11 comments:

Sammy said...

Haha I am Australian and we have 'Professor Laytonne' as well.

fratele said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
3D###Boy said...

Yeah, because your english accents are different.

3D###Boy said...

LOL!!

Airam said...

That's shame you didn't enjoy the puzzle. Aw well.

3D###Boy said...

I love all type the puzzle, but I hate frame puzzles. They are so complicated! I can't understand them. Ohh, where is that guy who made all of those frame puzzles so that I can beat him and throw him in another world. GRRRR!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey watch this: www.bigdawg420.com

3D###Boy said...

Sorry, I am now 12 and next year I will be 13. I get angry and nervous very much.... Uhh, gues I am changing very much from what I was when I was little.

Anonymous said...

Its fun, watch bigdawg420 channel. Pls, its really fun.

Anonymous said...

don't know about you guys, but british people make me feel stupid

Anonymous said...

I'm British and I can tell you it's "Professor Layton" over here as well