Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Washington DC, Day One

I'm back from my trip to Washington DC.  I'm sure I have enough to talk about for an entire week, but in this post, I'll limit myself to talking about the first day of the trip: Friday.


My ride to the airport showed up approximately one minute after my alarm went off at 5:45 AM. It ended up being a limo, and the limo driver laughed to see me, because I looked like I just rolled out of bed.  I mean, I know I did just roll out of bed, and I know that most people dress up to ride in limos, but in my defense, I didn't know it would be a limo, and I thought he would arrive an hour later.

The airport wasn't very pleasant.  There was a problem with printing my boarding pass, and I had to go from one service center to another.  The good news is that I didn't have to endure the horrid new screening procedures, because I was put into the "families with young children" line.  I don't know why they paired me up with all the kids in diapers, but I didn't complain.  It was more interesting than the normal security line.

There's not much to say about the five hour flight to the east coast, other than it is long and boring and they don't feed you on the airplane.
Paul's brother picked me up from the airport and drove me to the hotel, along with Aunt Muriel.  I don't know if that's the aunt's name, but she sounds just like Muriel who lives next door, so that's the name I gave her.  It was nice talking to them for about thirty minutes, at which point, I got a bad case of heat exhaustion.  Jet lag, waking up super-early and not eating anything all day will do that to you.  So I was sort of in zombie mode for most of the car ride.

The traffic was horrible.  It took three hours to get from the airport to the hotel.  But on a positive note, Paul's relatives are super interesting and hold great conversations.  His brother appears to know about every movie ever made, and it took me two hours to realize that he is the same person as "Paul's brother, the movie reviewer".  He's also a scientific journal editor, which is what threw me off.

I made it to the hotel around 5:00 PM.  I met Paul's mother, got into a room and collapsed for a while.  Eventually, I built up the strength to walk down the street and get McDonald's.  That basically took up all of my remaining energy for the day.

Paul and Co. were doing wedding rehearsal stuff until 9:00 or so.  That's when my mother was scheduled to arrive at the hotel.  I decided that the best plan of attack would be to wait in the hotel lobby.  I'd help my mom check in when she showed up, and when Paul's group showed up, I would team up with everyone at the bachelor party.

At least, that was my plan.  Instead, I fell asleep in the lobby chair, and Mom woke me up.  The two of us went to our room and tried to stay awake long enough to catch the end of the San Jose Sharks playoff game, which they won 4-3.  Yes!  Hooray for them winning, and boo for them playing badly during the last period.

Anyway, that was the first day of my trip to Washington DC.

5 comments:

3D###Boy said...

I think you'l do great there in Washington DC. But, I have a question, Why the name contains DC? What means DC??
Pleas answer

Philip said...

I can totally relate to your trip Michael! I 'm near the youngest in a large family, and trips were always very hetic for us. I love the part about the limo showing up an hour earlier than expected. That happens to me all the time.

3D###Boy, The full name is "Washington, District of Columbia" and you can see why they would want to abbreviate it. :)


Philip

3D###Boy said...

Thanks Philip!.:)

Philip said...

You're Welcome, 3D###Boy!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmm. McDonalds.......... Yummy........