Monday, June 6, 2011

Voice Acting

Pretty much every animated movie that comes out today stars big name actors.  And to be honest, I'm not sure why, because a lot of those big name actors can't do voice acting.  They just talk in their normal voices.

You'd think that they would hire professional voice actors to be in animated movies.  They're cheaper, they do better voices, and they do multiple voices.  I mean, just think how much money Dreamworks would save if they just hired the guys from Spongebob or The Simpsons for their next movie.

It's not like the kids who watch the movies are going to be able to tell the difference.  I highly doubt that eight-year-olds care whether or not Danny Devito voices a character in the movie.  They don't even know who he is!

Anyway, I'm just kind of tired of certain celebrities--I won't say any particular names here--who get away with lazy voice acting and large paychecks.  Especially if the bad voice ruins the movie.

7 comments:

Katie said...

I totally agree. Not that every voice actor is automatically better than a big celebrity, but it seems a shame to me that truly talented voice actors are left to the wayside in place of actors, who may or may not be that great, but have "star" quality attached to their names and can bring in dough because of already established fan bases. I know many of the major production companies do this too, but I feel like it some what started with Disney using Robin Williams as the genie in Aladdin. I did love him as the genie, but if you think about the rest of movie, the voice actors for Aladdin and Jasmine were lesser known, but just as great. After that, there was definitely a trend to include celbrities--I'm thinking Mel Gibson in Pocahontas,James Woods as Hades in Hercules, etc. However, within the last few years, I think it's become ten times worse. It's just a shame because some of the truly talented voice actors get passed over for mediore celebrities. :(

Anonymous said...

So true, Katie. Although, when I first saw Aladdin, I knew Aladdin’s voice actor, Scott Weiner, more than Robin Williams because he was DJ's boyfriend on Full House! XD I used to watch that show every day so I knew it was him right away, while I didn’t know Williams’ voice.

Diana said...

I agree with Katie. It's all about looks in showbiz these days, not true talent. It makes me sick, but what can you do?

Anonymous said...

I agree with you that some animated movies have to cut down on their expense on getting famous people to do their character's voice. But you have to also note that some audiences (who are teens or adults) may I want to watch the movie just for the actor or actress. For example, I wanted to watch Rio because Jesse Eisenberg was in it. If not for that reason, I probably wouldn't give Rio the time of my day.

Lena said...

I disagree with you, michael. Young kids don't o to the movies by themselves. They go with a parent/guardian. Since kids movies have little in in for the adults, celebrity voice acting gives something interesting for adults. Im pretty much on the same page as Anonymous(the second one!) in that i saw Rio just because i found out Jemaine Clement was on the voice acting cast.

Anonymous said...

Bird is the word. Bi bi bird is the word. I love Gregg Sulkin.

Ryan Ortega said...

Maybe your brain doesn't work the same way as other people. You have different opinions and tastes on stuff. Are you autistic?