Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Going Through My Things

Friday was the last day of school, and I had to move out because I'm not returning as a student next year.  I started off by sorting through all of my various papers, keeping the ones I need and recycling the ones I don't.  That took about an hour.  I was going to do the same thing with all my other possessions, but I didn't have enough time to go through everything, so I decided to take all my stuff home, and sort through it later.

It turns out they don't have the helpful cart for moving things this year, so instead of loading things on the cart and taking the elevator, I had to carry them down three flights of stairs.  I think my arms fell off, during the third load of clothes.

Discussion Question: Why do I have over sixty pairs of socks? On average, I only go through three pairs of socks a week.  I don't need fifty-seven backup pairs.  But somehow, despite the fact that I have not purchased a single sock in over a decade, I still have enough socks to supply a small army.

I went back home to my parents' house, and surprise, surprise!  They were having a garage sale on Saturday, and they wanted donations from me.  So I went through all of my clothes and got rid of the ones I am probably never going to wear again.  It was a really interesting experience for me to see all of my clothes at once, because I was immediately able to determine a trend when it comes to what clothes I buy.  Specifically, all of my shirts can be divided into three general categories.
  1. Joke/novelty shirts
  2. Shirt with the logo of a local sports team on it
  3. Free T-shirts I got from random places
I like free t-shirts, but I never realized that they make up at least a third of my wardrobe until just now.  Apparently, I am too cheap to buy t-shirts of my own.

The only clothes that made it through the garage sale purge was, of course, the mountain of socks.  My sock drawer is now filled with socks, and the overflow socks form a small pile, which is about a foot tall, on top of the dresser. These socks will not go away.  Whenever I try to get rid of one sock, they sing the Sock Musical song from Pajama Sam 4:



I also went through various other things I own that I don't need, such as my Nintendo 64.  I felt bad getting rid of it, but I don't think I'll play those games ever again.  I still have to go through all of my books, but I'll save that for another day.

5 comments:

Ryan said...

Awwww....don't get rid of your N64! You could do some more walkthroughs! Did you get rid of the gold LOZOOT cartridge?

Anonymous said...

Hey, the best things in life are free, right?

Anonymous said...

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT! Why did you get rid of your nintendo 64 stuff!? Those things are collecters items! You could've kept them safe in a closet or something and pull it out every once and a while and play it for fun and memories.

Kira said...

Thankfully, I still have my N64--and all the games we bought for it--even though it's sitting somewhere in my garage at the moment. I probably will never play with it again, but it gives me comfort to know that at least for now, I still have a few of my childhood memories contained and within reach. But unfortunately, we DID sell the ol' NES before I was old enough to protest its being sold. Now that song in Donkey Kong Country will forever haunt me ...

Anonymous said...

Poor Mr. sock.