Saturday, May 28, 2011

Adventures on the Washington DC Metro System

I went to Washington D.C. recently, and I had some misadventures with the metro system.

This is the first time I've used a metro system, and it took a while to get used to it.  The metro system has five lines, and over fifty stops. It's sometimes a puzzle just to figure out how to reach your destination.

Needless to say, it'd be ridiculously hard if they had a different price for each of the hundreds of possible trips you could take on the Metro.  So they have a really simple "dollar per ticket" scheme.  Every time you ride on the metro, you pay a dollar for your ticket.  It's the simplest, most obvious way for them to handle the thouands of daily ticket transactions.

Ha ha ha ha!  That was a joke. Washington D.C. is home to the IRS, which made up the US Tax Code.  So of course, the Metro system payment system is ridiculously complicated.  I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say it's supposed to be something simple, like "one quarter for every mile you travel".  But really, their price list looks like it ran it through a random number generator.

Strange prices aside, the real problem I had with the Washington Metro is that their machines kept rejecting my metro pass for no apparent reason.  This happened 75% of the time.  You're supposed to be able to use the same pass every time you use the metro, but I had to go through four metro passes in two days.

And whenever this happens, all the money on your metro pass magically disappears, because they don't refund you anything.

So maybe the Washington D.C. Metro didn't work so well. But about halfway during the trip, I suddenly remembered that the Washington D.C. Metro is used as the map screen in Nancy Drew: Secret of the Scarlet Hand.


And here's the map of the real metro:



As you can see, the two are pretty close.  The yellow line has been partially extended since the game was made, but I was still surprised that they used the real DC Metro Map instead of making things up.

By complete coincidence, two of the four Metro stops I went to are used as locations in the game.  These two stops are:

#1. The Colonial Hotel, which is the hotel Nancy stayed at.  In real life, this is...



The National Zoo!  That was a lot of fun to visit, needless to say.

#2. The Beech Hill Museum. About 80% of the game takes place in this location. In real life, this is...


The National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, at the Catholic University in America!  That was even more fun to visit, and I'll talk more about both in later blog entries.

15 comments:

3D###Boy said...

11/05/28 LOL! Cool coincidence! Or maybe they really put the Washington DC metro system in the game. Haha!
Oh and great pictures. You look great in them.

David

Panini M said...

I live in the Washington DC metro area, and the system is really complicated in terms of one day passes and all. Thats why i have a smart trip card for the metro, hahaha.
It gets really crowded on weekdays and all, especially the orange line.
Also...a sidenote:
ACE Attorney is having a Japanese movie made!

http://www.tokyohive.com/2011/05/movie-adaptation-of-ace-attorney-confirmed/

Secret @ Women perfume said...

Yes I like this posting. Life is more important only happy is most favourite one. Thanks for updating this one keep updating I share this blog to my friend. how many years you maintenance your blog. really super job man. all the best. Bye..

Waterwave250 said...

Wow they try hard to make there games perfect! WE LOVE YOU NANCY DREW!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Airam said...

Awesome! LOL what a coincidence!

Kira said...

For some reason, that picture of you in front of the metro map scared me for a minute when I first scrolled down to look at it. I don't know why, maybe because you're almost completely consumed in shadow in the picture. 0_0

Anonymous said...

Michael oh my gosh! you need to take away the mustache, and lighten up on the beard dont take it all away though and maybe take away the wrinkles in your eyes. you'll look hotter. you looked hotter in the past. WHAT HAPPENED?

Anonymous said...

I think you look like Santa Clause in those pictures. No ofens.

3D###Boy said...

I LOVE YOU NANCY DREW!!!
TODAY IS 11/05/29 GUYS! NANCY DREW IS CLOSER TO OUR HEARTS, MINDS AND STOMACH(CUZ I'M THIRSTY TO TASTE NANCY DREW CAPTIVE CURSE) !!YAY!!


P.S.- My first time when I don't know what to say!

Monica said...

That's amazing!! OMG THIS TUESDAY MY 8th Grade class is going to Washington DC! I can't wait! I'll be thinking about the Scarlet Hand the whole time.

Anonymous said...

Dude, seriously. SHAVE!! And what a awesome coincidence! THE MAPS. THEY'RE THE SAME!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Michael, you're just so adorable!

Anonymous said...

A little over a year ago I went to DC and I took the metro almost everywhere, unless the destination was in walking distance, and boy it is very confusing! I even missed the metro a few times and would have to wait up to 2 hours for the next one! And don't even get me started with the trolly's! You could easily get lost in DC.

Anonymous said...

LOL @ the metro systems being the same! Oh, and OMG U HAVE A BEEAARRD! Why is this reminding me of when Jack got off the island and grew a beard on LOST?

Katie Schroeter said...

what a great Adventures on the Washington DC Metro System. Thanks for sharing it.
Metro Airport Taxi