Thursday, April 21, 2011

Soap Operas

Two soap operas that have been on the air for over forty years--All My Children and One Life to Live--have just been cancelled. 

Now ABC has only one soap opera left: General Hospital.  This brings the number of soap operas on TV down to four.

Why are all the soap operas dying?  And more importantly, is my soap opera next?  Clearly, Days of our Lives can't use the "we've been on the air for 45 years" as a defense against cancellation.

ABC is replacing its soap operas with talk shows.  NBC, who runs Days, tried the daytime talk show thing for a while, but it must not have done so well, because the new talk shows were all cancelled.  (As the whole Tonight Show fiasco last year proved, NBC has no idea what they're doing when it comes to talk shows).  So it's unlikely that Days will get the boot just so the network can try out a new talk show.

Some people say no one watches soap operas anymore, due to the Feminist Revolution of the 1970's.  I might not have a PhD in Gender Studies, but unless I'm mistaken...that was 40 years ago.  Why did the 70's wait before cancelling TV shows?

Other people have blamed Facebook or the Internet.  Facebook, so help me, if you get my favorite soap opera kicked off the air, I'll never use you again.

The good news about the other soap operas being cancelled, I guess, is that now more people will watch Days of our Lives, so its ratings will improve, and they won't have to cancel the show. Also, Days can hire some actors from the cancelled soap operas, which actually happens somewhat often in Soap Opera Land. Actors will switch from one soap opera to another, if their contracts don't get renewed.

11 comments:

3D###Boy said...

I like talk shows. I am always(usually) watching talk shows. Some of them are funny, others are about politic or bussines. It's kind of funny watch them. I stopped watching anymore at channels like Cartoon Network, Minimax, Animax etc...(Minimax, Animax are romanian cartoons).

Lynniepoo87 said...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! I watched DOOL when Patch and Kayla were at item (before you were born?).

These days, they've just gotten too silly for my taste. Or maybe I've just gotten a whole lot older and more crotchety.

Anonymous said...

AHHH!!! Days of Our Lives simpley CANNOT get chancled!! I love that show!

Anonymous said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I LOVE ONE LIFE TO LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:O :( lol....I already knew four days ago...but.....IT ALREADY GOT CANCELLED?! AWWWWW!!!!!!!!! :( BAD spot to stop..... :(

Anonymous said...

GUESS WHAT MICHAEL!!!!!!!!! In the NEW Nancy Drew graphic novel (Nancy Drew: The New Case Files) NED LEFT NANCY AND STARTED SEEING DEIRDRE SHANNON!!!!!!!! DEIRDRE SHANNON!!!!!!!!!!! D:< I won't tell u why cause that will probably take up A LOT of space here....lol... JUST READ #1 AND #2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) lol AND THE HARDY BOYS R FIGHTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! D:< IT'S TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! In Nancy Drew #3 The hardy boys r gonna be in it!!! :D lol Just thought u might wanna know!!! ;D

Anonymous said...

Yea! Soap operas rule!!!
The other day was like "hey dad! turn on my soaps!"
Harhar he just rolled his eyes.

Emily said...

Heh, Topless Tuesday ;)

Emily said...

Heh, Topless Tuesday ;)

Emily said...

Oops sry for posting twice O:)

3D###Boy said...

I hate soap operas! They really should cancel them.

3D###Boy said...

I mean who likes to watch an opera singer with a soap in her/his mouth.(This is what I think.).