Wednesday, March 16, 2011

If You're Happy And You Know It, Clap Your Hands

Last week, I asked what people think about clapping at movies.

I asked this because my mom insists on standing up and clapping at the end of every movie she sees, and it is basically the most embarassing thing ever.  Everyone in the movie theater turns around and looks at the weird woman who is giving a standing ovation to Gnomeo and Juliet.

People seem to agree that clapping at the end of a movie is okay, if it was a good movie.

I worked at the movie theaters as an usher in 2001, and I got to see the end of every single movie at least 20 times.  Nobody clapped at the end of movies back then.  In other words, this movie-clapping thing is a recent phenomenon.  When did this begin?  Why did it begin?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will clap at the end of movies... but only if the movie is absolutely wonderful or absolutely terrible. Mostly, it is the latter. My friends and I will give an "ironic" clap to movies that really don't deserve an applause. We actually stood up and clapped for Gnomeo and Juliet. (I'm sure Shakespeare was rolling in his grave over this lame attempt at his classic.) If I had gone to seen Justin Bieber: Never Say Never, I probably would have stood and clapped for that too. It's rare that I see people give a sincere applause for a truly good movie, though. Of course, I am not much of a moviegoer.

Anonymous said...

i loved gnomeo and juliet!!!!