Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Gas Prices

Thanks to the reaction to yesterday's blog post, I have decided I must read Nancy Drew: The Crooked Banister.  I put in a request for it at my library at home.

But I have no idea when I'm going to return home again.  I used to go home every weekend, but I can't do that anymore, now that gas prices are RIDICULOUSLY HIGH.  In my neighborhood, they have gone past $4 a gallon and are headed towards $5.  It's weird, because prices will drop ten cents one day, and shoot up twenty cents another day.

I'll be driving as little as possible, until gas goes back down to an affordable price.

It kind of upsets me that there is nothing we can do about this.  It seems like the oil companies pick and choose the gas prices whenever they want.  And it seems like all attempts to move towards alternative fuel, going back to the 80's, have been universally stopped, because the oil companies have been buying off the government.

9 comments:

Alana said...

I know, it's annoying! It's not that bad in Michigan yet (around $3.50 a gallon) but it's still obnoxious. I can only hope it goes down soon for the summer months, but unfortunately they're predicting the exact opposite :( Luckily my car gets pretty good gas mileage, so it's not that terrible, but I still hate wasting so much money just to fill up my tank.

David said...

I live in quebec canada and we pay 1.28/Liter, basically 5$/gallon and climing. Prices in the US are much cheaper than our price which I don't understand what so ever. It's all a big mystery for all of us but I'm sure we all know that we're being royally screwed over for this oil. In my area, there can be a price difference of approximately 10 cents/liter between 2 cities that aren't so far apart. Sigh..

Anonymous said...

Eat some juicefuls!

Anonymous said...

Eat some cheese balls!

Anonymous said...

Go staple it on....

Anonymous said...

More than 4 dollars? Ouch! And I thought the gas prices were bad here! Ours are around $3.50.

You're right, it does seem like oil companies just choose whatever prices for gas, knowing we'll pay for it because Americans aren't suddenly going to go back to walking or biking everywhere. *Sigh*

--J.F.

Lynniepoo87 said...

Oil prices are set by the stock market, not oil companies. Foreign investors are buying oil on the US dollar because its a 30% savings as opposed to the Euro.

With the way the US has completely mishandled Libya, investors began to "hedge," and drove the price way up.

Oil prices on the stock market lag the price at the pump by a few weeks. If you watch oil prices over the long term, you'll see that if oil drops a few dollars a barrel, a week or two later gas prices will drop slightly. When it goes back up, so will gas, a few weeks later.

Anonymous said...

I live in Texas and gas is $3.40 but it's probably going to go up. :/

Kay

Airam said...

Why doesn't the USA just pump it's own oil? :/