Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Rite

A movie called "The Rite" came out recently.  It's about exorcism, and the movie has gotten mixed reviews.  I think that most of the people who didn't like it were disappointed that it wasn't a horror movie, like they expected.

Most of the people here at the seminary liked it, because it's pro-Catholic.  I haven't seen the movie myself, and I don't think I will, because I personally know the priest the movie is based on.  I actually lived with him last summer, and I feel kind of weird seeing a movie that's based off my boss.

Of course, they changed some things for the movie.  They gave him a different name, and they made him 20-30 years younger (typical Hollywood decision).  And they gave him a faith crisis, just to make things more interesting.  But still, I think I'd have a hard time watching the movie and not thinking of the character as the man I lived with for three months.

Exorcism is a topic that people are very interested in, but it's misunderstood.  Actual demonic possession, which is the type you see in exorcist movies, is very rare.  That happens less than 1% of the time, about once a year in our diocese.  Most of the work that Father ------ does as an exorcist involves counseling people and praying with them.  In fact, he is fond of saying, "The last thing an exorcist does is perform an exorcism".

3 comments:

Diana said...

Wow that is actually really cool! I haven't seen that movie yet and am not sure if I should...

Michael Kelley said...

I haven't seen it, but I heard Richard Grund, who is an actual exorcist, talking about it on L.A. Marzulli's show, "Acceleration Radio," and he didn't like it at all because it misrepresented the nature of exorcism.

I wrote a Blog entry about the interview and posted the links to listen to the full interview in the article. The article and links to listen to the recording of the show is at the following link:

http://biblestudynow.webs.com/apps/blog/entries/show/6085588-a-literal-war

Anonymous said...

Wow...