Saturday, January 22, 2011

Walk for Life

Today, we had the big Walk for Live West Coast even in San Francisco. A group of 45,000 people showed up, to walk all the way from the Bay Bridge to the Golden Gate Bridge, along the street with all the piers. It was pretty exciting to see so many people come out to support human rights.

A lot of people think abortion is a religious issue, but in a sense, it's not really about religion.  We're concerned about the rights of the unborn children, irregardless of their religion or lack thereof.  Of course, it's a tricky issue because pregnant women have their rights, too, but our current laws need to be fixed.  They give all the rights to the mother, and no rights at all to the father, to the child, and in most cases, to the doctor.  These rights need to be more evenly distributed.

About 50 counter-protestors showed up to heckle us.  And because of this is San Francisco, some of them were wearing absolutely ridiculous outfits.  I'd describe these outfits, but I don't want to scare any small children who may read this blog. I'm surprised there weren't counter-counter-protestors at the event, in order to protest against those crazy outfits.

The Most Ridiculous Protestor Award goes to the person who was shouting, "Go back to your homes! San Francisco is a tolerant city!"

Runner-up: The protestor who somehow got us confused with the gay pride parade, and showed up with a bunch of "gays are evil" signs.  I don't know how he made that mistake.  Maybe he accidentally switched the dates on the calendar.

It was a three or four mile walk, and it took a few hours, just because there were so many people.  It's a good thing I brought lunch, because no food was being sold at the event, and you get hungry after hours of walking. Overall, it was a lot of fun to see so many people working together for a common cause. Let's hope that our country's laws will be changed, and everyone will get to enjoy life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

7 comments:

Bekah said...

Thank you for being so frank about this issue.

Those protestors sound like a riot (is that a pun...? Hm. Wasn't intended).

I too hope our country's laws are soon changed.

Stephanie said...

Amen, Michael.

Anonymous said...

um michael... do you support gay rights? i sure hope so because i believe that in addition to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, everybody should have a right to LOVE.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous at 12:23 I'm almost sure that Michael dosn't.

Alana said...

I feel like everybody thinks that abortion is a religious topic because usually people who are very against it have a very religious moral standing.
I usually have a clear-cut opinion on topics like this, but abortion is always something that trips me up. I know what I would do personally, but I don't really know what should be legal or illegal, if that makes sense. I like the idea that women at least have a choice to do what they want, I mean no one's putting a gun to their head forcing them to get abortions, you know? Part of me feels like it should just be a personal thing between the mother and the father too if he's not like a deadbeat dad. But the fact that the unborn child should have rights or not is when I second-think. It's definitely a very complex issue with many different aspects to it, that's for sure.

But anyway, I think that it's totally cool that you marched for something you believed in! It must feel really awesome to get together with people who feel the same as you and try to make a difference :)

Diana said...

I wish I could have been there, both for the cause and for the counter-protestors! I am very pro-life and it's good to know you are too! God bless!

icu_lafn said...

If people are allowed to sign consent to a DNR (do not resesitate) order, chosing to die without medical help, do you see potential in outlawing DNR's?