Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Inside the Guide

Over the Christmas break, I had enough free time to write two walkthroughs for GameFAQs.  I used to write walkthroughs all the time, but I've mostly stopped doing that when I switched over to making video walkthroughs.

I follow a three-step process when making text walkthroughs.

Step 1: Pick a game to do a walkthrough for.
Step 2: Write two pages of the walkthrough.
Step 3: Forget about it for six months.

There are officially twelve games on my partially-started walkthrough list, the oldest of which dates back to February 2008.  I'm sure I'll get around to finishing them...someday.  Many of them are games that I've done video walkthroughs for, so I know exactly what to do in order to beat the game, but I just never found the time to type that up.

Well, I'm glad that over Christmas break, I was able to finish the walkthrough for Samantha Swift and the Hidden Roses of Athena.  I specifically put this at the top of my Internet browser, so I would see it every day and remember, "Oh, I have to finish that walkthrough!".  And still, it took me nine months to put aside the time to actually do so.

The other walkthrough I wrote was a guide for Back to the Future: Part 1 of 5.  I had to play the game a second time for my review, so I figured I might as well do a walkthrough for it.  It's really short, and no one else had a walkthrough for the game posted yet, which were both big plusses.  Of course, by the time GameFAQs got around to posting my guide, two other walkthroughs were up there, too.

I'm probably not going to do more walkthrough writing for at least a month, even though I really should finish those half-started walkthroughs. Then, I'll probably zoom right through them and wonder why it took so long.

1 comment:

Diana said...

I'm really excited for more walkthroughs! Thank you so much and God bless!