Sunday, January 9, 2011

For My 25th Birthday...

It's my birthday tomorrow, and it's a big one.  I am officially turning 25, which is basically one-fourth of my life over and done with.

I think the amazing part is what I remember.  High school?  I can hardly remember the names of the other students and teachers.  But the Wayside School book I read in third grade?  Memorized!

The lesson I should learn from this is that I shouldn't get so upset over the things that happen to me today (such as no one telling me the results of my staff evaluation).  Odds are that I'm going to forget 90% of the school drama, anyway.

To "celebrate", I'm going to officially get rid of all the old stuff I don't need anymore.  There are things that I saved so I could use them some point in the future--mostly books, but also a VHS tape collection of about 60 tapes--and instead of being a materialistic hoarder, I'm going to get rid of anything that only has a 5% chance of seeing the light of day again.

I started off with my old comic strip collections--Foxtrot, Calvin and Hobbes, Zits, Little Orphan Annie.  I had the large collection books, not the small ones, because the large ones have color strips.  The library was very excited to receive them, because those books are constantly checked out of the kids section, and mine are in better shape than the ones they have now.

I take good care of my books, so most of them are in good enough shape for the library.  Maybe 10% are in bad shape--my original Charlotte's Web has seen better days, and a third of the pages in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban are falling out--so those will go to the Book Go Round, the library charity that takes care of donated books.  95% of my VHS tapes should go, but only two of my DVDs are junk-worthy, amazingly enough.  As for my antique book collection, well...I want to read them before getting rid of them.  Some of those rare 1920's L. Frank Baum books took me months to find.

Anyway, happy birthday to me.  My birthday gift to me is a clean room!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay

Alex C. said...

Happy Birthday to you Michael!!!:)

Diana said...

Oh my goodness!
Happy Birthday Michael!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICHAEL!!!

christi said...

Happy Birthday Michael!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope you have an awesome birthday :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Micheal!!!
Mine is two days after yours :)

Anonymous said...

HAPPY SPECIAL 25TH BIRTHDAY MICHAEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D Haha! :)

Janie said...

Happy Birthday! :D

Anonymous said...

HAPPY 25TH BIRTHDAY MICHAEL!!!! I hope that you have an awesome day!!!! It's my Birthday on the 23rd of this month I think it's awesome that we share a Bday month because you are AWESOME!!!! :) :D

Anonymous said...

can u please contact me i cannot get passed the last bento box n u rreally good i am sooooo stuck... i really wanta play but i cannot figure it out :( thanks -emily conntact me at maxineknepp@yahoo.com please

Anonymous said...

n p.s happy bday

Airam said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

have an awesome 25th!

Chick in the Red Hat said...

Happy birthday, Michael! Funny that your b-day lands on the same week as mine. (I'm turning the big 2-1 on January 13th.)

Sofia said...

Happy birthday, Michael! Have a great one. :]

Ruba Iqbal said...

Happy (Early) Birthday, Michael!!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Mike!

Anonymous said...

Happy 25th birthday michael. hope you enjoy today.

Caittie

Anonymous said...

A clean room! I can't think of a better gift! :D

Happy 25th birthday, Michael!
I hope your day will fall into the 'awesomeness' category and not'ridiculosity':D!

--J.F.

Rachel said...

Happy Birthday Michael!!! I hope you are having a wonderful day!!!

Anonymous said...

happy birthday!!! i bet nancy drew would throw you a party if she was real (:

Balin said...

Happy Birthday!!!!

Kira said...

Ah, so you're a materialistic hoarder too? I can't seem to quit keeping things around, myself. Anyway ... happy birthday! For some reason, I was thinking your birthday was in March instead of January.

Anonymous said...

lol i memorized the wayside book to HAPPY BRITHDAY

Anonymous said...

Как получить Визу в Чехию?
Очень просто!
Выбрать турагенство, которое смогло бы организовать и получение визы в России по
своей путевке или самостоятельно — на основании проплаченной путевки получать визу , прийдя в консульство с ваучером.
есть еще вопросики?! пишите в мой блог http://slovakiainvest.blog.ru
С Уважением Юлия :)