Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Sharpay's Fabulous Adventure

Almost a year ago, I talked about the pros and cons of Disney's plans to make High School Musical 4.  It seems like the movie is doomed to be completely horrible, so it should fit in perfectly with the other films in the series.

Sadly, it seems that Disney has officially dropped this project.

Now, before you throw a huge party, let me qualify that statement.  Disney has dropped its plans to continue with the High School Musical series, in favor of some High School Musical spin-offs. This includes two movies that came out this year in non-English speaking countries, and this cinematic wonder:



A direct-to-home video movie, starring the lead villain of the High School Musical series.  I know, I was a bit skeptical myself, but then I saw that the director is the same person who directed The Santa Clause 2.  Suddenly, my worries disappeared.  This movie is destined to be a classic!

As far as I can tell, the plot goes like this:

Sharpay is going to live out her dream of becoming a superstar actress in New York, but once she gets there, she realizes that everything in New York is horrible.  The apartments are small, the traffic is bad, and Holden Caufield won't ever shut up. Plus, someone totally stole Sharpay's part in the Broadway play.  With the help of her romantic interest, can she turn things around and become a superstar?

This brings up a number of questions in my mind:
  1. So...the villain of the High School Musical series is a hero now?  And her antagonist acts just like she did in the HSM movies?  Um...okay...
  2. Why does her romantic interest look exactly the same as the guy who played her twin brother in HSM?  Isn't it slightly awkward that her romantic interest looks just like her brother?
  3. Will Tim Allen have a cameo in this movie?
  4. Why does half of the preview focus on her super-ugly dog?
These questions, and more, will be answered when the movie is released next spring. Word on the street is that it might appear on the Disney Channel, in addition to the DVD release.

12 comments:

Janie said...

I like Holden Caulfield! And Disney is just trying something desperate to get in sales because TRON didn't do as well as they thought it would.

Diana said...

I agree with Janie. I never really liked Sharpay's singing and the only reason i would buy this movie would be if Tim Allen had a cameo. That would be awesome and slightly strange...

Anonymous said...

why is sharpay suddenly so nice? and ive always wondered, what kind of name is sharpay? i think they make weird names in disney movies so kids with unusual names dont feel left out.

Anonymous said...

1:28 awkward dance (:

mysterydrew said...

Gosh they couldn't have stopped with the third movie. this is just too much.

Miriam said...

Oh goodness. Disney is definitely not what it used to be. :/
I miss the days when they had good movies, like Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast...

Anonymous said...

Great, more movies that I'm never going to watch. By the way, isn't Sharpay the name of a big, wrinkely dog breed?

~Panda

Katia said...

I love her dog! Her dog is so cute!

Anonymous said...

'argulfumph
I agree with you on most cases, except for the one on the dog, however most guys don't seem particulary inclined with that breed of dog, so it is most likely to be a guy thing, because
I know many girls that like that sort of dog.

Anonymous said...

I love how the premise of the movie is "will Sharpay manage to star in the big show?" and the end of the preview shows her performing the lead roll in the musical. Whelp, guess we don't have to watch to find out.

Torrent Download said...

Great movie.. Interesting story., Thanks for sharing!!!

Kira said...

Um ... I don't know what to say.