Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Secrets Can Kill - Speedrun

Does anyone remember six months ago, when I was thinking about doing a speedrun of a Nancy Drew game? I'm curious to see how quickly one of the games can be solved, and what tricks you can use to cut down on time.

I originally wanted to try Nancy Drew: Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon, but that's kind of a long game.  Nancy Drew: Secrets Can Kill Remastered is shorter, so I decided to try that instead.

Fortunately, Nancy is a good detective and she keeps track of everything in her notebook.  I went through the game and the to-do list several times, in order to figure out what's necessary.  It turns out that there are a lot of things on Nancy's to-do list that you can skip.  For example, you don't need to find the password to Aunt Eloise's computer.  You also don't need to look at everything in Jake's locker. You can get away with only talking to Daryl once. And I know it sounds mean, but you don't have to talk to Detective Beech at all.

So that's the first time saving technique: skipping as much as possible. The other big time saving technique is doing things out of order.  For example, I did things totally backwards and finished all of Connie's plotlines (breaking the soda machine, reading about her kanji medallion) before meeting Connie.  Same thing with Hal's plotline (the plagiarized essay).  By doing things out of order, I managed to save three or so minutes of playing.

I couldn't think of a way to do Hulk's plotlines (learning about his injury and the break-in at the pharmacy) before meeting him, though. That resulted in about half a minute of backtracking, because I had to talk to Hulk twice. Darn.


All in all, my final time was about 16:25.  I beat the game, from beginning to end, in sixteen and a half minutes. Not bad for a game that taks about an hour and a half to beat normally!

7 comments:

Emma said...

wow.. the value of the game just went down a lot for me haha. 15 minutes? that's like watching 1 and 1/2 of your videos!

Anonymous said...

16:25? thats crazy!

Stephanie said...

You need to record this!

Anonymous said...

u should make a walkthrough (2 vids) for this

Anonymous said...

LOL. When I finished the game, I realized I only talked to Detective Beech ONCE, that was when we first met him at the diner. XD

Anonymous said...

Good Article
http://www.youlivehealth.com/item.php?group_id=57&id=2964

Anonymous said...

It was very interesting to read about this in your article. blood pressure