Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Nancy Drew: Secret of Shadow Ranch

Okay, I have to talk more about the iPhone/iPad version of Nancy Drew: Secret of Shadow Ranch, because I'm curious as to what this game will be like.

It is not going to be a port of the PC game. This is good news to me, because I've noticed that a lot of ports are...um, not so good.  I still remember the Nancy Drew: White Wolf of Icicle Creek port to the Wii, which had the problem of an obnoxious loading screen that appears every two seconds.  Other than that, it's a very good port.

Some not-so-good ports that I've written reviews for are the Pajama Sam PC to Wii port, the Samantha Swift PC to DS port, and the Phoenix Wright DS to Wii port.  And let's not forget the rather unpopular PC to GBA port of Nancy Drew: Message in a Haunted Mansion, which  I personally thought was well done, but it was sort of doomed to failure due to the limitations of the system.

So the new Shadow Ranch adventure is not going to be a port. In fact, it's going to be a completely different genre from the original adventure game.  It is now going to be a text-based game.

A text-based game?  They...still make those?

Judging from what has been said so far, it is sort of like a "choose your own adventure" game.  You can choose what Nancy says, and what she does, which is standard adventure game fare.  BUT--this is where it gets interesting--it says you can also choose the culprit.

So presumably, this game has four different endings, one for each of the culprits.  All right, that has my attention. I'm interested in seeing how the case will change from culprit to culprit.

The game is not going to be entirely text-based. There will also be some pictures to go along with the text. There are also minigames, and unlockable rewards. That's basically all we know right now.

What do you think, Nancy Drew Clue Crew?

15 comments:

Mysterydrew said...

uh choose your own culprit that sounds awesome!Cant wait to get it

Sofia said...

I like it. But I don't know if I'll give it a try. I only have the ipod touch, not the ipad, so I think the screen might be too small for the game to looks good.
I like that it's a text-based game. It sounds cool to me. Something different. I just hope it doesn't load like White Wolf did on the wii. Cause that was just annoying.

But I think my favorite part is being able to choose my own culprit. I'm curious to see what motives the people [I won't name names] who weren't the culprits had. I'm also wondering....will there be any puzzles? Because, I don't think it's really a Nancy Drew game without puzzles.

Miriam said...

I'm sort of excited for it, but I hate Mac software so I'm not looking forward to having to play it on an iTouch or something (especially since I don't have one and nobody who lives in my house does either). Bleh.
I say they should release it on something other than iTouches, since those are sort of expensive and not as common to have as computers.

Twizzler206 said...

We can choose the culprit!!!??? If I had an I phone i would sooo make it the yep nope yep dude!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Michael, i played the Resorting to danger Find it Mystery game where you got to choose your own culprit. it was really fun to see all the varous Culprits. i don't have an Ipod or ipad, but i might be getting an Ipad for christmas.. so i might cheek it out if i get it. - Caittie

Kira said...

Ehhh ... I probably won't be getting it because I don't have an iPod Touch or an iPad, but it sounds sort of fun. Although I think I'd prefer Nancy Drew on PC.

Alie-oop said...

I don't really have an iPod Touch or iPad, so I won't be getting it. But it sounds exciting.
Any chance you'll be doing a YouTube walkthrough when you get it?

Sofia said...

Hey, Michael! Guess what? The SAW demo is up!

Anonymous said...

Does Punchy LaRue sound familiar to u? Well, it's from one of the ND games AND Punchy LaRue is also the person who does the voicing of Bess! xD

Anonymous said...

AWESOME!!!!! I wish I had and IPod!!!!!!!!!!!! If anyone has a IPone and a youtube account could u PLEASE do a walkthrough for it or something!?!?!?!? It sounds like sooo much fun!!!!

Anonymous said...

Could you please make some videos of you doing the SAW demo? It is so hard!! Thanks!

Sofia said...

Uug....the traveling around from place to place is SO hard in the SAW demo! You actually need to strategize your way around instead of just clicking where you want to go. But it's not like Phantom of Venice, it's hard because you need to be on the right color trail of the subway. There's not even any place to go in the demo, so I left the ryokan and now the pesky subway system is making it too hard for me to go back. XD


Do a walkthrough, dude! I need serious help.

CreateForLife said...

I would try it but i still think the PC games are the best.

Anonymous said...

own culprit yay i didnt like the original bad guy

Anonymous said...

Do you have any idea when the game is going to come out? I'm really excited and cannot wait for it to come out!! I've been waiting since September!!!