Thursday, September 9, 2010

GPS

My Dad got a GPS for his birthday in July, and he recently gave it to me, because he doesn't think he has the technological skills necessary to install the GPS system in his car.

Well, Dad might be right, because installing a GPS is pretty tricky. For the sake of all my readers who might be struggling with this Herculean task, let me give a detailed list of instructions.

How to Install a GPS

Step One: Plug the battery into the cigarette lighter on the car dashboard.
Step Two: Plug the other end of the battery cord into the GPS.

Phew! That was tough. I can see why Dad thought he couldn't handle it.

So my GPS is up and running, and I've been using it for a while now. I don't use it when I'm going someplace I already know how to get to, but it has been helpful when I'm going to somewhere I've never been to before. Kind of. As you would expect, it's not perfect, and I've gotten lost twice.

The first time I got lost, it took me to the wrong Grant Avenue. Hee hee. Whoops! What town has TWO Grant Avenues, anyway? Crazy town...

The other time I got lost, the GPS took me to an imaginary house. It said to turn left because I was at my destination, but the highway was on the left, so...I went up and down the street for about fifteen minutes, trying to find my location. It turned out that everyone was hidden two buildings away from the 7-11. And no, they didn't get me a Slurpee.

All in all, the GPS works reasonably well, and I suppose it's here to stay, because Dad won't take it back, and my younger sister seems to think I need it because I'm a horrible driver. She might be right, I guess; I almost got in a car crash yesterday.

I'd like to think that it is totally not my fault that I drove the wrong way on two different one-way lanes. I was just trying to loop around to get that parking spot in the first row. I was too busy thinking "Woo hoo! Front row parking!" to be worried about insignificant details like "Why is that car driving right towards me?"

Besides, they need to get some one-way signs, not easy-to-miss one-way arrows drawn on the pavement. What shopping center has only one-way driving in their parking lot, anyway? Crazy town...

3 comments:

Alana said...

Oh my gosh, I need a GPS so badly...when trying to get home from a grad party that was about 45 minutes from home over the summer, I got completely lost and ended up going 3 hours out of the way...I got on the "Interstate" instead of the "expressway" or something, and then there was construction so I had to get off at some weird exit. Then, of course, I called my dad because I was freaking out. He told me to plug my phone into my car stereo and stay on the line, just in case, but if my compass was pointing East (which it was) I should be fine. Then I'm just driving along telling him roads and stuff when I hit Bloomfield Hills..which meant nothing to me at the time, haha. So I just kept driving and then I hit WEST Bloomfield Hills...so basically, what happened was I drove an hour and a half out of the way because my stupid compass was broken & ALWAYS pointed East. Even when you're going WEST. Which was horrible, haha, definitely not one of the best days of my life.

Maddz said...

Did you see the trailer for the new Nancy Drew game?? It looks scary, LOL

Twizzler206 said...

One time my brother was trying to get to the fair and he ended up like waaaaaaaaay out in the country, a lomg way a way from the fair.