Monday, August 30, 2010

School

School officially started today, although I had to move in early to meet with the academic dean. See, my schedule is kind of strange this year, because I already have credits for two of the courses (Ethics and Augustine). The dean and I decided that in their place, I will take Spanish 2 and an independent study on the writings of Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger (AKA Pope Benedict the Sixteenth).

It's not a perfect solution to my scheduling weirdness--for example, I have no classes whatsoever on Fridays--but it's probably the best solution we could come up with, besides for having me skip a grade.

There are a lot of new guys this year, which is delightful, but it strains my poor memory to learn all the names of the 34 new people. I think I know about...three of them.

Much to my dismay, it seems that the person who moved in next door to me likes to play loud techno music. Either that, or the person two rooms away likes to play extremely loud techno music. Either way, I have to deal with someone else's music at times. If this becomes a problem, I'll probably spend all my study time in the library, and not in my room.

The only class I've had so far is Philosophy of Evil, which seems like it will be interesting. It'll basically involve going through various philosophers and what they have to say about evil. We start off with Kant, which should be interesting, because his ethical system doesn't seem to allow for the existence of good and evil as positive/negative forces in the world. Then we move onto Neitzsche, and I can only guess at what nonsense he had to say on the subject. It'd be a good opportunity to show some systematic consistency for once and relate it to his ubermensch theory, but I'm guessing he's going to rant against Christians and Jews again.

I have three classes tomorrow, including the only class I have the books for. I wonder what they'll be like.

9 comments:

Joker's-Gurl said...

Wow. That seems extremely interesting. I'm sorry that the person next to you likes to play odd sounding music... loudly. I guess it's good that you got your Nancy Drew Walkthrough finished before school officially started because then you won't be doing two different things.

Michael Kelley said...

I here ya. We started classes here at UT Martin today. This is my second year with a Philosophy course, and from my first course I definitely remember Neitzsche. That guy was such a wacko, and being a Christian with my own Ministry website, I obviously disagreed with a lot of his ideas. But, I did find it interesting that it was him, an atheist, who first said that without God then there are no morals. Atheists nowadays get mad at Christians for talking about that, but it was an atheist that came up with the idea. Can anyone say irony? haha... God bless ya man!!

emily said...

MICHAEL LMAO you have a facebook fan page hahahahahah!!!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?op=1&view=all&subj=119663452260&pid=279864&id=1693442164&oid=119663452260#!/group.php?gid=119663452260

and i hate loud music. its just so annoying, espacially when your trying to study. i totally know what you mean.

Miriam said...

My school (and seminary) starts tomorrow, and my schedule's all weird too..I signed up to take French, but they put me in a Spanish class. :| I might have to drop my last two classes and do them online so that I can get the classes I signed up for...

Anonymous said...

Wow I start school next week.

Anonymous said...

I'm in the same-ish boat. Started my first year @ Elon University today - and I'm a philosophy major! So I've got two philosophy courses, and in one of them, we're covering ethics, and through the eyes of Plato, Nietzsche, and William James (secular humanist). I've only had that class twice and already I disagree with the prof's views (being a Christian with a blog), though I enjoy the class a lot. Anyway, good luck at school - I really admire what you're doing!

Anonymous said...

the numbers are realy letters EX. 1=A 2=B ect.

8 9!!!!!/14 1 14 3 25/4 18 4 23/9 19
/20 8 5/2 5 19 20!!!!!!!

AN. Hi!!!!! nancy drew is the best!!!

Anonymous said...

i mean---------------Hi!!!!/nancy/drew/is/the/best!!!!

Anonymous said...

I started school the same day