Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Movies

I am told that Selena Gomez cannot play the role of Ramona in Beezus and Ramona, because Ramona is about six years old in that book, and Selena is eighteen. This strikes me as a very good reason.

I am still kind of upset that Judy Garland played Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz, because she was 17, and therefore way too old to play a twelve-year-old. I probably would have given the role to Shirley Temple, who was 11 at the time. Plus, Shirley did a good job co-starring with Frank Morgan (who played the Wizard) in Dimples, three years earlier.



(Mom made me watch Dimples, which is how I know about it.)

The Wizard of Oz is still a great movie, though. I just wonder what it'd be like if the best child actress of all time had the leading role in the best movie of all time.

Even if The Wizard of Oz is the best movie of all time like the critics say, it's not even close to being my favorite kids movie. That's because, when I was a kid, my sister and I only watched animated Disney movies. Mom says our favorite was Lady and the Tramp, and we watched it at least once a week for a few years.

Today, I couldn't even tell you the names of the various characters in that movie, besides Lady and Tramp. Either Mom is exaggerating, or my memory is horrible.

4 comments:

Alana said...

Actually, MGM did try to give the role to Shirley Temple-- at least the studio manager did. But she was under contract with 20th Century Fox at the time, and Fox denied MGM's offer, seeing as she was their biggest star and they didn't want to "lend" her out to another production company.

...I only know this because I used to really love Judy Garland when I was little, and they did a whole segment about it in a biography I used to watch, haha. :)

Lissamel said...

You're right about the Judy Garland playing a 12-year-old thing. When I saw 'Return To Oz' (Love that movie), it was like Dorothy had shrunk or something.

Kira said...

But I love Judy Garland! Sure, she was supposed to be twelve but was really older, but I think she did a great job! I actually think it would be kind of weird if Shirley Temple played Dorothy. But yes, when I was little, I watched many Disney movies, like Aristocats (my personal favorite) and Aladdin and The Fox and the Hound. Even though I watched Aristocats many times, I can't remember all of the cats' names and what happens in the movie. Kind of odd.

Patricia said...

@ Alana

Yeah, I was going to say that too. I knew that they had been going to give the role to Shirly Temple, but that's because I watched a movie about her life.