Friday, August 20, 2010

Car Repairs

I went to my parents' house yesterday, and Dad demanded to look at my car's tires. I don't know why. You know how some people wake up in the morning, and the first thing they want to do is have a cup of coffee? My dad wakes up in the morning, and the first thing he wants to do is check his son's tires. He's strange like that.

It's apparently a good thing he did so, because three of the tires are very thin. In fact, they are ready for retirement. The back/left tire is clearly a slacker who has not been doing his job, because that tire was almost brand new, even though it was put on at the same time as the other tires. I have no idea how this is the case.

So, first thing this morning, I had to take the car into Wheel Works to have them replace the tires, which are still under the 50,000 mile warantee. It should have been simple, but the man at the counter insisted that the car was NOT under warantee, because the tires have not been rotated for maximum efficiency.

I was confused, because my car tires rotate all the time. In fact, it's kind of impossible to drive a car if the tires don't rotate. The car repairman said that "rotating the tires" means "switching the back and front tires every 5,000 miles". He says this reduces wear and tear on the tires, because they don't get used as often, although I clearly use all four tires at the same time, no matter what tire is on what wheel. However, as previously stated, the tire in the back/left position is a slacker that doesn't do any work at all, so I guess where the tires are does make a difference after all.

Anyway, I told the man with the fake British accent to give me new tires, and I said I'd be back at noon. I left my car there, and carpooled to work. When noon rolled around, the car guys said they fixed the tires, but whuh-oh-oh, there's a new problem! Some obscure car part which I think they made up on the spot--it sounds like "spooder"--is off! They'll have to replace that for $400. Come back at six o'clock.

I showed up at six o'clock, and wouldn't you know it, another car piece isn't working, by jingo! This time, it's the brake cable. That'll be another $400 and could I please pay them right now, even though the car isn't fixed yet?

Dad is very mad right now, because he insisted on handling the whole transaction despite the fact that he wasn't actually there. We had to phone him to let him know what was happening. It probably would have been easier to put Dad on the phone with the car repairmen.

So right now, I'm scheduled to pick up the car tomorrow, and I have to pay them $1300, provided they don't find anything else wrong with the car, like a non-rotating spleeder or a distinct lack of Justin Bieber CDs, in which case, I'll have to sign a contract giving them my first-born child.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's funny, but at the same time I feel bad for you.

Joker's-Gurl said...

That's terrible! I suppose that's an upside to living in a small town-- no one cheats you because everyon knows everyone.
Gosh.
However, the retirement joke had me in a fit.

Anonymous said...

Aw man. My family has had our share of car problems. Right now, my dad is supporting one of his mirrors with foam and my brother's car has a cracked windshield. Hehehe.

-DRA43

Anonymous said...

"non-rotating spleeder or a distinct lack of Justin Bieber CDs, in which case, I'll have to sign a contract giving them my first-born child."

You just made my day.

Anonymous said...

LOL!!
I hate it when people try to squeeze a little bit more money!
its so frustrating!!!

~P&A

Anonymous said...

I love the retirement joke.

Anonymous said...

$1300!? What?! Thats crazy! I wonder if they did the other stuff on purpose?.....

Bri said...

Michael, I hate to say it but I believe you are being ripped off. Repairmen tend to do that to people sometimes and its wrong. I'm sorry you are going through this, it's stinks. :(

Anonymous said...

I say you should leave that repairman and find another one 1300. Wow

Sofia said...

Dude, that retirement joke made me crack up laughing.

But if I were you, I would seriously find a new repairman.

Rita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rita said...

That sometimes happens when you don’t know the people from the car repair shop that well. There are times when you get ripped off by the auto repair shop, especially if they are not BBB credited. There is a tendency that you will be taken advantage of. It would be best to get a second opinion from a certified auto repair shop next time. Get a referral from a family or friends who know a reliable repairman. @ Evans Tire & Service