Monday, July 26, 2010

Awkward Phone Moments

I just realized today that I tend to pause during my phone calls so the other person can talk. Is that weird? I think it's pretty normal, and leads to perfectly ordinary conversations like this:

Me: Hello, this is Michael.
(I pause to let the other person talk.)
Other Person: Hello! How's it going?

Today, however, I was on the phone with some woman who did not understand the concept of pausing to let the other person talk. The conversation went like this:

Me: Hello, I'm Michael Gray. I'm calling from [location].
(I pause to let the other person talk.)
Lady: (doesn't say anything)
(Pause becomes awkward.)
Lady: (obviously thinking I'm weird for stopping in mid-sentence) Okay...what do you want?

My question is, "Was I being an ordinary phone caller, or am I some kind of freaky pause-taker?"

Speaking of awkward phone moments, have you ever had a situation where the person you called hung up, but you didn't know it? That's happened to me a few times. I just kept talking, thinking the other person was still listening, and eventually I reached the awkward moment where I realized he hung up a minute ago.

Another weird phone moment I had was when someone called me at 1:30 AM and woke me up. It was a wrong number, but I kind of wish I had continued the phone conversation instead of hanging up. I mean, I went through all the trouble of waking up to answer the phone; I should have at least had the phone conversation, right? At the very least, that's a good premise for a one-act play or something like that.

6 comments:

Hippodameia said...

That right there is pretty much why I hate talking on the phone. When you're talking to someone in person, you can at least read their facial expressions and know when they're about to say something. And text-based communication allows you to read what the other person wrote even if both parties sent a message at the exact same time. Plus, with a lot of chat programs, you'll be alerted when your friend is typing. With phone calls, it's just... awkward. My sister gets really annoyed when I pause like that because it makes everything feel weird. So, if she has something to say to me, she either tells me in person or sends an email.

madi said...

lol ikr phone conversations are so akward! but i think you're a normal phone talker, michael, i do that too.

Kira said...

You're a normal phone-talker, don't worry. I pause too. There was just something wrong with that lady ... hahaha. :-D But I have had moments where there is a bad connection when I am talking to someone and they get disconnected, and I'm still talking. Very weird.

Anonymous said...

hahaha

-Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

You are most definitely not alone.

Twizzler206 said...

I hate calling people. My phone is weird and I always get phone garble.