Thursday, June 10, 2010

Visits With the Elderly

My visits to elderly people this week have been interesting so far.

On Monday, I visited Ms. Valentine, who must be over ninety years old. She still remembers the Great Depression and World War Two, so we talked about that for a while. Her older brother was killed in the war, leaving his nine month-old baby fatherless. A baby which he probably never got to see. That was tragic, and it's amazing how, even over sixty years later, the pain is still there.

I think murder is evil in all its forms, but war is particularly evil because it kills people on a grand scale. But I guess humankind hasn't learned its lesson yet, because we still have wars being waged today. What is it, at least three wars going on right now? You'd think people would want to stop killing themselves and each other.

On Tuesday, I visited Mrs. Zane. Her husband died two weeks ago. I was there at the annointing and the burial, so she remembered me. She says it's been tough, but she hasn't cried, because it was her husband's time to go, and in the end, it was what he wanted. I think she was very touched and happy that someone came by to check up and her and offer help. I just wish there was more that I could do for her besides visiting once and praying.

And yesterday, I visited Mrs. Teresi, who is ninety-eight. She's near-blind and homebound. A woman named Emily takes care of her and her disabled daughter. It was nice talking to her, but also kind of strange. I don't know if you've ever talked to a near-blind person before, but when they look at you, they sort of don't look at you. That is, her eyes were on me the whole time, but they slipped back and forth between being focused and unfocused. I've never seen that before in my work with disabled people, so it unnerved me for a bit.

Today is my day off, so there weren't any visits to make. I mean, sure, I went as an acolyte to a mass in the assisted care area of the local retirement center, but that doesn't count as an official one-on-one visit.

Tomorrow, I'm doing another round of phone calls to schedule another round of visits. You see, I have to call people ahead of time to set up a time for me to visit them. Unfortunately, half the people I've called never pick up their phones, so I haven't been able to reach them.

9 comments:

Roberta said...

aw michael that's so sweet of you to visit old people. I do that to every month with my church, senior saints visitation. every one of them i visited needed company:)

Anonymous said...

I'd love to go visit the elderly! Except ... well ... I'm not sure if I can.

Anonymous said...

Just by visiting elderly people, I think you're helping them. It probably makes them feel better just knowing that someone cares about them, and is thinking of them.

Anonymous said...

That's really kind of you, dude. I know how lonely it can get, with thoughts of the past and thoughts of probably dying soon. It's nice that they have some good company. =]
-Sofia

Anonymous said...

I think you're an amazing person, when most people just can't be bothered caring, it's nice to know there are still people like you in the world :)

Anonymous said...

Aww, that's sweet :)
Ms. Valentine is the name of my old biology teacher (before she had a baby) and now my teacher is one of those kinds of old people. I think she's kind of senile, and she majored in the study of lichens and fungi -_-

Abby said...

I think that's really sweet that you visit the elderly and you care about people. I have actually talked to a nearly blind man before. He comes to my church and when he looks at you his eyes are like looking to the side, it was kind of weird when he first started coming and then I got used to it.

Anonymous said...

will you be playing the exclusive version of trail of the twister

Katharine said...

That's really nice that you take the time to do that!