Sunday, June 13, 2010

Digital Devices

I may not be psychic, but I can tell that in the future, most companies are going to use digital distribution. For example, bookstores aren't going to sell physical books; they'll only sell the ability to download a book.

Actually, will there be bookstores then? Maybe it'll just be a bookstore website. In any case, they've been trying to make this all-digital transition for quite some time now, with the Kindles and the iPads and the cell phones that replace computers.

I prefer to have a physical copy of a book or game or anything I could download. If my computer crashes, and all I have is a downloaded copy of Mega Man 9, I have to pay for the game all over again. But if I have the Mega Man 9 CD, I'm good, even if my computer messes up.

I've had computers crash and lose EVERYTHING I HAVE more than once, you know.

My friend Shawn got one of those super-cool phones, and he was bragging about it in class. "My phone does everything; it can check my email, play music; I love this thing." And I was jealous.

Two days later, he was saying, "Stupid piece of crap! My phone doesn't work!" And I was not jealous anymore.

I would like to get one of those fancy internet phones or minicomputers or whatever you call them, but there are three main reasons why I don't:

1. They cost a lot of money. Like, $600? And I bet dollars to donuts you still have to pay monthly fees for them, so that's even more money.

2. I would never use it, except to watch videos on Youtube and read funny stories on Fanfiction.net. There's no way I'm going to use a phone for, say, typing up these blog entries. Texting is good enough at what it does, but writing on phones does not work so well.

So it's not worth it for me to get an internet phone thingy, even if I kind of want one. What I am thinking about is getting a Nintendo DSi, which is the new Nintendo handheld gaming device. Rumor has it that the DSi has internet access. I'm guessing it's not super-fancy internet access, but if it can access Youtube and Fanfiction.net, that's good enough for me! Plus, there are no monthly fees, AND it costs about $150. It's not a phone, but I don't care; I don't want a phone; I just want a handheld internet device.

Now, I just need to find some way to check if the DSi really will do what I want it to do. Because I hear the iPad has super-great Internet...but it doesn't have flash. And without flash, you can't see Youtube videos. So that means no iPad for me!

14 comments:

Kira said...

Eh, I don't have all those digital devices either, because they're pretty expensive for what they do. And I prefer hard, solid books to Kindles and Nooks. I hate those e-readers--to me, they are just an expensive imitation of a book. I want the real thing.

Anonymous said...

also, DSi can take pictures

Anonymous said...

My dad has the internet on his phone and he is dropping it, it doesn't really do that much. Changing to the subject of the books, i would rather have a physical copy too.

Alana said...

Actually, I'm pretty sure there's a YouTube app on the iPad so you can play videos on there :) That's how it is on the iPhone, at least. And the new 32 gb iPhone is only $199, which isn't too bad. As for the monthly rates, I couldn't really speak much about those because my dad pays them, but I do know you have to pay to keep the WiFi active on your phone.

But I totally agree with you about having a hard copy of something rather than downloading it. I never use iTunes for videos or anything because that's stupid to me...like, why not just pay for the DVD so you can play it anywhere? haha, it's confusing to me why you'd want anything otherwise. :p

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but if you get the ipad with internet connection ANYWHERE [doesn't matter if there's wi-fi or not, I have no clue how they do it], it costs like more then $800! I really don't think it's worth the money.

Anonymous said...

The internet on the DSi is very slow. I've tried it on mine and it took about 14 seconds to load the internet. I don't really like writing on the little phones and electronics too. Computers rule!

Michelle said...

You should get an iPod touch...I don't know how I lived without one before!

Anonymous said...

I prefer the pshyical objects as well. I'm pretty minimal when it comes technology as i just have a laptop, a cell phone (which i don't use that much) and a dvd player. Its pretty easy for me to ignore these digital items too but one item that's getting my goat is the Blu-Ray player because sure, all the features sound great but its expensive and how do we know that the companies just won't make another movie player in a couple of years so that we'll have to replace the Blu-ray? Plus my DVD player works great. I'll stick with DVDs. Although the fact that some studios are starting to put less features on DVDS is making me mad too.

Anonymous said...

You should get an iTouch! YOU CAN PLAY PHOENIX WRIGHT ON IT!!! The internet is really fast, and there's an app that takes you straight to youtube!!!

emily said...

i have a DSi, and its really cool... you can also play all of the games you have from the nintendo DS on it, and it has internet and a camera and its awesome. but its not that new michael... i baught mine like 5 months ago, in the country i live in, which recieved the game like 3 months after it was released in america. so its not new lol. but people are loving it!

Michael said...

I meant "new DS" as in the new kind of DS. This is DS #4, and the fifth type is coming laster this year.

Anonymous said...

i used an ipad once i wasn't really impressed. but i have to say, all the vidios on it was pretty cool!

Anonymous said...

I don't want any of those "i" things. Five years ago my life was fine without them, and i'm still fine today! Yvette

Zjazz said...

Seriously! On the bus in the mornings everyone pulls out their HTC or Iphone whereas a couple years ago they pull out a book. My mother told me she went to the library and they added like 3 levels and computers are everywhere. And I dont think it is just to use the network for catalog lookup... I dunno. Makes me sad..but happy I feel 'old school' while Im still so young!