Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Ten Reasons for High School Musical 2 Songs

As I probably mentioned earlier in this blog, the CDs in my car were taken, and all I have left are the three High School Musical CDs. So if you've noticed that I think about HSM way more often than the average 24-year-old, that's why.

There are ten songs in HSM 2, and I sometimes write a column called "The Ten Reasons", where I list ten things I like and dislike about something. Let me show you what I mean!


High School Musical 2 Songs I Like


1. What Time Is It?

This is the first, and probably best, song in the entire movie. Everyone starts singing and dancing about how summer is awesome because there's no school. It was the segment of the movie they filmed last, and you can kind of tell that everyone was super-psyched to revisit the set of the original movie.

The song is also a particularly well-balanced intro to the film, because each of the characters gets their own little moment to shine. Everyone gets a solo! In my mind, this is the true opening to the movie; I try my best to forget the poorly-written intro scenes that are wedged between this song and its reprise:

Martha: So, Kelsey, what are you going to do this summer?
Kelsey: Grow. Play piano. Grow.
Martha and Kelsey: HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!
Me: HA HA HA HA HA!! IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE SHE'S SHORT! ...Wait, who are these characters again?

Plus, Chad kisses the teacher at 0:23. I don't see what else you could want!

2. Fabulous

Interesting choreography for this song. I'm not a big fan, but it was pretty well-done.


3. Work This Out

This is not a super good song. The lyrics start out as being relevant to the plot of the movie, but about halfway through, they degenerate into a bunch of random nonsense and everyone starts hitting pots and pans together to make music.

But after listening to the song several times without seeing the ridiculous dance moves, it grew on me. Specifically, I like the lines Troy sings at 1:13. I have no idea why, and now that I see how he dances to that part of the song, I think I might have to re-evaluate its position as "my favorite part of the song".


4. You Are the Music in Me

Ah, the big love song. It's a sweet duet with nice lyrics, and one of the few songs in the film that isn't hip-hop based. I approve.

It's particularly funny how they do the song in the movie for a few reasons.

1. Gabriella rudely cuts off the piano girl in mid-verse, because only the leads should be singing in the duet.
2. The song takes place near a piano because it's a duet, and it's funny to watch them try to dance to the song, only they can't, because there's a piano in the way. My favorite part is where Troy tries to hide behind the piano like he's playing peek-a-boo (2:32).
3. Everyone just randomly bursts in for no reason, and they all know the lyrics.
4. Troy finishes the scene by quoting the titles of High School Musical songs. It's super corny.


5. You are the Music in Me (Sharpay Version)

Big, showy musical numbers are always fun, but my favorite part is the joke that opens this song.

Troy: Hey, I'm kind of new to the whole performing thing. Could you take it easy on me?
Sharpay: Sure!
(The song the immediately erupts with a series of $500 special effects. Troy remains scared/confused for the duration of the song)


6. Bet On It

I love how ridiculous this song is. The dance moves, if you can call them dance moves, look like they were made up on the spot. There is a lot of twirling.

I also like the bridge, where Zac Efron stops singing, and the computer takes over for him while he plays golf for no reason, then sings to his reflection in the water which has perfect hair.


High School Musical 2 Songs I Don't Like


7. I Don't Dance

This song had two strong concepts. First, they wanted to do a sports song, just like the basketball song from the first movie. Second, it's funny to have people dance to a song about not dancing. But this song is just really, really bad as a song in general, and the choreography is likewise horrible.

8. Gotta Go My Own Way

This is the break-up song that Gabriella sings about fifteen minutes before she gets back together with Troy. This is a halfway-decent song, but I don't like it as much as the breakup song in the first movie. The two songs are pretty much the same, and this one stands out less so.


9. Every Day

This is the love song that Troy and Gabriella sing when they get back together for no particular reason. It's...not a very good song, and the first fifteen or so notes are the same as "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" from The Lion King, which confuses me to this day.

10. All For One

This movie had a perfect ending. Our heroes win the big prize, we learn lessons about being nice to other people, and all the characters are BFFs again. Troy and Gabriella kiss for the first time, there is a reprise of the main love song, and the stars twinkle in the skies above. Fade to black.

Then...they fade back into THIS monstrosity of a song. The lyrics are such bad cobbled-together nonsense that I have a hard time listening to them without wincing ("Hey guys! Show 'em we can make some moves! / Hey girls! Show 'em we know how to groove!") There does not seem to be a legitimate reason for this song to be in the movie, besides for a Miley Cyrus cameo. Needless to say, I always stop watching the movie before this song shows up.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were into HSM, Micheal...hahaha....
wait. you posted this at 12:16am? Who posts on blogs that early? That's cool.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I love all the random dance moves Zac Efron does in Bet On It, and his reflection in the water doesn't even look realistic. By the way, does anyone know what the release date for Trail of the Twister is? I'd really like it if Michael put information about it on his blog if he got some ...

Roberta said...

ok, i liked a few songs in this movie, but "I don't dance" sure does NOT make any sense. I agree with u. but there were a few songs in here that i liked. But yeah i am curious when nancy drew trail of the twister will come out.:D

Artsygirl said...

Don't hate me, but somone has to comment on it. Im NOT an HSM fan, never like the films but I was curious about the songs Michael chose and I listened to the ones he posted up. First off, I think the one song I liked the most was you are the music in me. It was very sweet :). I HATED the Sharpay or whatever her face is version of the song, she totally messed it up. By the way the part when they are standing under the air vend on the ground, isn't that too Michael Jackson much? Everyday and what time is it were ok, didn't like it so much. The songs that I HATED and found stupid were Bet on it, work this out, and Sharpay version of you are the music in me. Again I don't like any of the HSM movies, but I did like the comments that Michael put on some of these songs that he posted up. They were funny! :)I can't believe Miley Cyrus was in this too, she probably wandered into their set, saw the beach party, and wanted to join in on the fun too or get pulicity. LOL XP.

high school musical 2 said...

What's up everyone, it's my first visit at this web site,
and piece of writing is truly fruitful for me, keep up posting these articles
or reviews.