Thursday, March 18, 2010

Miles Edgeworth

I've got a new video walkthrough! You can see me solve Case One of Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney: Investigations.

The Edgeworth game is a spinoff of the Phoenix Wright series. In it, Edgeworth investigates a series of murders.

I've heard my friend Paul say the game was run through a "blah" machine, which I kinda agree with, but I kinda disagree with. Edgeworth is British, so he has a rather dry sense of humor. As a result, the dialogue in the game comes off as kind of...bland. Or at least, blander than other games in the series. It might be better for the game overall if they had made Edgeworth's jokes a lot more direct. They did take a year to translate the game into English, after all, so they had plenty of time to go over the script.

Then again, if I was writing the script for the game, I'd throw in all sorts of crazy stuff just for fun. Like Edgeworth's dialogue with Franziska? I'd put in a few odd lines that seem to hint that he's got a crush on her. Just because. It'd give fans of the series a lot to debate about.

Little things bugged me about this game. It took me twenty minutes to realize the weird noise Calisto Yew makes ("phhhhfew!") is supposed to be supressed laughter. Edgeworth's animations feel a bit too long. Ernest Amano's character design seriously scares me with those sacks of skin near his ears.

Pros:

) It's better than the last Ace Attorney game, which we shall never speak of again.
) Child Franziska is super adorable.
) The final boss' "Objection!" shout is awesome, as was the entire Larry Butz sequence.
) The overarching storyline and its progression are, of course, top notch.

Cons:

) No Phoenix Wright, except for the world's easiest-to-miss cameo
) Ema Skye's scene was really badly-done, considering how popular of a character she is
) Manfred von Karma's scenes are also utterly forgettable

I think that, overall, my main problem with the game is that it's missing an emotional core. In the Phoenix Wright games, I solve the mysteries because I care about the characters. But in this Edgeworth game, I solve the mysteries more because I like mystery-solving. And that's just not as much fun.

6 comments:

Paul said...

It's not just Edgeworth, though; I think in general, ALL the text feels like it wasn't translated/localized by someone who really knows how to write. It feels clumsy to me.

Michael G said...

That's where I disagree. Only about half of it feels that way. The other half is great.

Wait, you know what probably happened? Capcom fired the old localization team due to the economy, and put some underpaid newbies on this project. _That_ would explain it.

Paul said...

That's exactly what I think happened, actually---it definitely feels to me like they didn't have the same localizers. I mean, seriously---"Deid Mann"?---the original team definitely could've come up with a better pun-tastic name than that!

Anonymous said...

Hey Michael,
When do you think you are going to finish the Miles Edgeworth walkthrough for the whole game? I don't mean to be rude, sorry. Please don't rush yourself.

Anonymous said...

Hey Michael,
When do you think you are going to finish the Miles Edgeworth walkthrough for the whole game? I don't mean to be rude, sorry. Please don't rush yourself.

Anonymous said...

I just realized I posted that twice, sorry!