Thursday, March 4, 2010

A Brief Break, and a Dance Competition

I'm officially on midterm break, which means I get two days to do stuff! Here are some of the various thing I'll be working on.

1. Reading Marathon. I ordered ten books from the library, so I can plow through them. One of them is an Oz book by Ruth Plumly Thompson, who was a pun MASTER, so it'll be fun. Other books I got just because they have cool pictures I can try to draw.

2. Comics. I just received a package of 305 Boots and Her Buddies strips from 1945. That's the year Boots got married. I'm looking forward to reading them.

3. Videos. I'm going to do some work on videos, hopefully. I still haven't heard from my prospective co-commentator for Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, so I don't know when/if that'll ever be done. There are other games that are up there on my to-play list, though, like Samantha Swift and the Hidden Roses of Athena, Emerald City Confidential, Nancy Drew Dossier: Resorting to Danger and Oregon Trail (again).

---

People seem interested in my nerdy rap that was included in my last blog entry. There's actually a semi-story behind it!

First of all, wiki-wiki-wiki-woot is supposed to be the sound of someone scratching a record, like the one you hear at 3:18 of Mmmbop! by Hanson.



I reused the "wiki-wiki-wiki woot woo" sound effect in one of my DragonBall Z fanfics. In the story, the Great Saiyaman has a dance-off against World Champion Hercule.

Here's an excerpt from the story, where Hercule beats Saiyaman in the breakdancing challenge. The joke behind this scene is that Hercule is cool, and Saiyaman is a Super Nerd (and the worst dancer ever).

---

Heavy drum music started plaything through the speakers, and Hercule started showing off some of his killer moves.

"Wikky wikky wikky woot woo!" Hercule chanted along with the beat, as he did a sideways moonwalk to the left, spun on his back four times, flipped upside down and bounced on the ground with one hand, then pushed himself into the air, did a complete spin and landed with a perfect split just as the music stopped.

The crowd went wild.

"Very impressive dancing there, Champ," the announcer said. "Now, let's see the dance moves of the Great Saiyaman!"

Heavy drum music started playing, although it was a different beat than the one given to Hercule. The Great Saiyaman stood still for a second, then grabbed the announcer's microphone. "Hip hop?" he asked. "Looks like it's time for my best dancing move...THE BUNNY RABBIT!"

Saiyaman put both hands behind his head and pretended they were bunny ears as he hopped across the stage.

"Little Bunny Foo-Foo,
Hoppin' through the forest,
Pickin' up the field mice
And boppin' 'em on the head!"
Saiyaman sang.

The crowd booed.

"They don't like it?" Saiyaman wondered. "I guess that means it's time for...the ultimate rap!"

"I'm the Great Saiyaman!
Make sure to check your calendar!
You wouldn't want to accidentally miss a doctor's appointment!
Wikky, wikky, wikky, Wikipedia!"


Saiyaman ended by doing by doing a Statue of Liberty pose.

"Was that supposed to be a rap?" Hercule asked. "It didn't even rhyme!"

"Er...very original, Great Saiyaman!" the announcer said. "Let's see who our judges pick as the winner!"

---

Fortunately for our hero Saiyaman, he manages to win the next round of the competition, which is the slow dance. The third and final round of music is...you guessed it...MARCHING BAND MUSIC! Finally, the High School Marching Band gets their chance to shine!

Saiyaman ends up winning the grand prize, a date with Videl (the character in the series who eventually becomes his girlfriend). It was a fun story to write, but I think it came in last place in the competition I wrote it for.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know what the release date for Trail of the Twister is? I'd really like it if Michael put information about it on his blog if he got some ...

Anonymous said...

yeah..I agree. I can't seem to find the release date.

Anonymous said...

hey michael, do you have the dsi version of oregon trail? now THATS something you should do a walkthrough for. the dsi version is AWESOME!!