Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Nancy Drew Speed Run

All my free time this week is going to be eaten up by the new Phoenix Wright game. I played a little bit yesterday, and...

What? Oh...right. Nancy Drew blog. Not Phoenix Wright blog.

Something I'd like to see is speed runs for the Nancy Drew games. Speed runs are, as you can guess, videos of someone playing a game as quickly as possible. They're interesting to watch sometimes. For example, it took me ten hours to beat Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Watching someone beat it in two hours is pretty impressive!

For point-and-click adventure games like the Nancy Drew series, the way to speedrun them is by doing puzzles out of order. For example, in Nancy Drew: Curse of Blackmoor Manor, you do three or so of the end-of-game puzzles on the first day (if you know what to do ahead of time).

The game that'd probably be easiest to speedrun, though, is Nancy Drew: Stay Tuned for Danger, thanks to some glitches:



Using the "skip to Dwayne's office" glitch, you can start the "hired by Dwayne as a new employee" sequence without having to see the "Rick almost gets hit by a falling kleig light" scene, which skips about six minutes of gameplay.

If you guys are interested, I can talk a bit more about speedrunning Nancy Drew: Curse of Blackmoor Manor. I started planning a speedrun route for that game, but I didn't get very far.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm interested :)

I'm also curious. A while back, a friend and I were playing Treasure in the Royal Tower. We ran into a dead end, and Nancy introduced herself to it. We laughed and laughed...but have not been able to find the same spot or get the same sequence again. If you could capture it on video, we'd be forever grateful!

Anonymous said...

SCK is the fastest to play.

Miriam said...

That'd be fun to watch! :)

Did Her Interactive offer to send you Trail of the Twister next week? I'm asking because my mom got an email from them asking if I'm interested (which, of course, I am!)

Alana said...

I'd love to hear about your speedrun for Blackmoor Manor :)

Hm, I'd heard about the glitches in Stay Tuned for Danger, but I didn't know that you could skip the "falling klieg light scene" completely, that's interesting. The game that was always quickest for me to finish was the Haunted Carousel.

Roberta said...

i'd be very interested to hear about your speedrun on the curse of Blackmoor manor, that was the first Nancy Drew game I ever played!:D

ArtsyGirl said...

Cool! I am also interested in the speedrun for the Curse of Blackmoor Manor too. It was my first nancy drew game that introduce me to the entire series! When does Trail of a twister come out? I want to buy it!

MarioFan321 said...

.........Yeah, never mind my sister.