Tuesday, February 9, 2010

How I Failed My Driver's Test Five Times

There seems to be some confusion about my driving skills, so let me explain things.

I do have a driver's license. But since boys from ages 16-20 pay the highest car insurance rates, I waited until I was 21 before getting my license. I don't travel much, so it wasn't that big of a deal.

Actually getting my license was pretty tough, because I failed the driving test five times.

Time #1: I think I set the record for world's quickest failure, as I flunked the test while pulling out of the DMV parking lot. The instructor said I almost crashed into a hot dog cart.

She was clearly making things up, because I have never seen a hot dog cart in my town, and if I did, I would see it at a sports game, not the DMV parking lot. I might not be the most observant guy around, but I think I would have noticed if I almost crashed into a hot dog cart.

Time #2: This time, I failed while pulling into the DMV parking lot at the end of the test. It wasn't my fault, though. I was making a right-hand turn into the parking lot, and a guy making a left-hand turn totally cut me off. Apparently, the instructor thought it was too close for comfort, and she failed me.

Time #3: I failed for not checking my mirrors often enough. I should have checked the mirrors for bikers, although there were no bikers there, which is why I didn't check my mirrors. Oh well.

Time #4: This time, I got taken down the busiest driving test road possible, and I did perfectly. A police car even came barreling down the road, and I did a great job of pulling over to the right-hand side of the road and stopping to let the police go by. That should count as bonus points/automatic pass/free trip to Disneyland.

But I failed the parallel parking challenge by getting a little too close to the bumper of the car in front of me. Apparently, I need to revise my parallel parking rule of "not actually hitting the other car = A-OK!"

Time #5: I don't remember what happened this time, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out I almost hit the imaginary hot dog cart again.

Time #6: I passed, naturally. I'm a great driver!

So that's the story of how I got my driver's license. It took a long time due to bad luck and imaginary hot dog carts. But I have my license now, and I've been driving for three years with no accidents whatsoever. Yes!

18 comments:

emily said...

wow michael, those people at the dmv must really not lke you lol! why would there be an hot dog stand in a dmv parking lot??? those psychos!
im glad you aventually got it!! of course you had to beat those stupid dmv guys one day with their stupidity... i hope you have many more years of driving!

Anonymous said...

i failed my test twice, but the second time was weird... the second time my instructer failed me for making a quick turn and almost hitting a car next to me, but that wasnt fair because there was a cat right infront of me!!! i mean, its not like they gave lessons on what to do when a cat is infront of your car...

Roberta said...

wow, you and hot dog carts and your car. :D

陸路 said...

我愛那些使自己的德行成為自己的目標或命定的人 ..................................................

Roberta said...

ok, I think some of us hardly know what you just said Japanese or Chinese or Vietnamese or Korean person

MarioFan321 said...

Wow...my sister also took driving lessons also! but, i don't think she passed... normally she doesn't drive that often:(

ArtsyGirl said...

Congraduations Michael. The 6th time was the charm! And thank you MarioFan321, you have should fate in me. >:( Sorry, people, MarioFan321 is my little brother.

MarioFan321 said...

Whoops! i didn't know you were there! sorry ArtsyGirl! but still... AAAAAAARRRRRG!!!!!!

MarioFan321 said...

Also Micheal i hope that you can be able to find a girlfriend!that would be AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

life is tuff, i just failed my second driving test

Ari said...

didn't anyone ever tell you not to run into imaginary hot dog carts? hahaha :)))

Marvis Carswell said...

Wow! It certainly seems like you’ve learned a lot about driving tests! But, the good thing is that you didn’t give up even after having failed repeatedly – you just tried and tried until you finally passed! That’s a very inspirational story, especially for those who’ve taken the test and failed!

Mia Patch said...

It’s been three years since you posted this, and I’m sure that it’s nice to look back. Marvis is right. This story serves as an inspiration for people who are struggling with the same thing. No matter how menial it looks, driving takes a lot of skill and practice, so it’s not rare to fail a few times before passing. Just take the lessons you learn from your failures and use them to achieve success. :)

Luise Pagett said...

When you fail, get back up, dust yourself off, and try again. In life, you’ll be failing a lot more than you would be succeeding. And that’s the point of it. You have to keep trying. You don’t just quit because you’re afraid you might fail. I love that you didn’t give up, even if you hit that imaginary dog cart twice. Seriously, though, where did that dog cart come from?

Luise Pagett

Drving lessons east london said...

well done on passing your test eventually

Remy German said...

Superb experience shared.Felt very nice reading this blog.Anyway thanks so much
california drivers license

Anderson Driving School said...

Congratulations for passing the test and being issued with the California drivers license. It is not easy to pass the test.

DMV Driving Test said...

Everyone willing to have a driver's license will have to go through a driving test. There is no perfect driving, and the examiners don't expect anything perfect. However, there are some common mistakes that you should avoid.