Sunday, February 21, 2010

Blackmoor Manor Speedrun, Part Two

Here's the rest of the information I found out while thinking of a speedrun route for Nancy Drew: Curse of Blackmoor Manor.
  • You can log onto Alan's computer and start the ghost hunt at the beginning of the game, if you've played through the game before and know the password is "purgamentum".
  • You can open the locked box in Nancy's room at the start of the game, if you've played through the game before and know the solution.
  • You have to go up the singing stairs twice: once during the ghost hunt, and once to get the key that unlocks the puzzle outside Jane's room. So while speedrunning the game, you want to do both at the same time.
  • You don't have to solve LouLou's magic word puzzle to learn about the second hidden passageway; you just have to see LouLou's magic word puzzle.

I didn't get very far on the speedrunning strategy, and my notes are full of questions like "Is it necessary to check the locked door?" and "Do you have to tell Linda about the woman in black?"

I stopped planning a speedrun, because I quickly ran up against Jane, the Speedrun Killer. She makes you do all those time-consuming, randomized puzzles like Bul, the jigsaw puzzle, Go Fish and Petroglyph Punch. I can't think of a way to skip those puzzles or make them go faster.

If you guys want, however, I can try working on a speedrun for a different Nancy Drew game, or at least plotting out a general strategy.

11 comments:

Tallulah said...

I wish you actually got to SEE the 'monster' in the game, instead of just hearing about it. They build up so much suspense!!! :(

karapoo0x said...

do a speedrun for the phantom of venice! that game doesnt have many randomized puzzles.

Roberta said...

whatever u wanna do:)

Alana said...

Oh my gosh, Jane! She's probably one of the main reasons I don't like Curse of Blackmoor Manor more...those puzzles get sooo taxing.
Especially when you somehow keep getting lost within the moving rooms (even though you DO have specific instructions written out) and your glow stick keeps dying and you have to play Petroglyph Punch 75 million times just to get to the everlasting light-glowing rock-thingy!...or maybe that's just me. hahah.

But basically any game you'd be interested in doing a speedrun for, I'd be interested in reading/hearing about :)

Anonymous said...

A speed run for Secrets Can Kill should be easy. I can finsih it in 28 minutes.

Miriam said...

The problem with SCK is that you have to keep switching to disc 2 whenever you want to go to the high school.
I actually never bothered to beat that one. I had a game saved right before the end once (I was too scared to do it unless my friend was with me) but then my brother accidentally erased everything on our computer. I didn't feel like going through the whole thing again since it was such a pain, so I just watched Michael's walkthrough and felt like I'd beaten it. :)

Anonymous said...

So will you post it on Youtube?

Anonymous said...

I love your Nancy Drew Walkthroughs! Curse of Blackmoor Manor is the best game ever!

BabieDollie said...

I did an experimental speedrun, these are my findings. You don't have to ask Linda or Jane about the lady in black, you must ask Linda about how she found the passageway, even though all her answer will be is that she will not tell you. You do not need to read anything in the alchemy lab to beat the game, you should have beaten the entire pillar puzzle before you first enter the alchemy lab for the best time. You should do the knight hands mercury puzzle thing before entering the alchemy lab as well, even though it will scare off Nigel. Once you have done all the pillars he returns and when I had done the hand puzzle all I had left was the pond so it took me all of like 2 minutes for him to return for me to ask him about the ouroboros. On the first day in your room you should do the moon puzzle, do the window seat puzzle, note the missing telescope and order Pinky and Perky. Then do the tile puzzzle outside janes door right after you finish the 13 ghost puzzle. In my run I had to play 1 game of Bul, 2 games of Petroglyph Punch, and 1 puzzle. You should only visit the alchemy lab twice, the first time do the key puzzle and the air puzzle, the second time is the end of the game. Annoying things you can't skip: the conversation with Ms.Petrov, the conversation with Ned, being caught by Ethel at least twice and it is possible to be caught three times, I don't believe you can skip the cutscene with the cloaked person walking down the hall in the middle of the night (which during my run happened on the first night). Definitely be careful in the moving rooms. You do not have to read the note in the well, read the letter guarded by the venus flytrap, bake anything for LouLou, talk to LouLou more than twice (once so you will be able to ask Ms.Drake for the password, and once to learn Barber Leech). You can't skip the typing puzzle, likewise no skipping the Jane and Ethel pouring oil down the drain. You must go down the slide at least once before taking the cricket ball. The most time consuming things for me were the Betty machine puzzle and accidently getting lost in the moving rooms a few times as being in a rush makes it a lot harder. I don't think you need to grab the map in there but if you're prone to getting lost in the moving rooms it's probably better for time if you just grabbed. My runthrough was about three hours but half of it was me testing to see if I could do things out of order so I think you could beat the game in about an hour and a half if you had a good plan and knew what to do.

BabieDollie said...

Wait, you do need to ask each of them about the lady in black once, but afterwards you don't, sorry.

BabieDollie said...

And you do need to check the locked door. Okay I'll stop commenting now ha :)