Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Big Basketball Game

Yesterday, our team played in the big basketball game. That is, the only basketball game we play all year! We had a pretty fearsome group of competitors, too!


The Home Team


And us! (I'm third from the left)

The gym at Santa Clara University was pretty full, with at least 2,000 people coming out to see the Sems challenge the Revs again. The Revs may have won the past two years, but now that I'm on the team, victory is assured, right?



Oops.

The game was loads of fun, anyway, and pretty much everyone was rooting for us underdogs to come back from the 16-point defecit we racked up in the first half. The crowd was so enthusiastic that, as you can see, we played five quarters instead of four.

The announcer for the event is half the fun. He made up with nicknames for all of the players, like "Jackpot" Joe, "Raging Bull" Hernandez, and Gabriel "Kung Fu Panda" Lee.


The Kung Fu Panda!

My nickname was "The Hitman". The announced picked it because he was told I'm one of those quiet, silent guys who never says much.

HA HA HA HA HA!

I have no idea who told him that! Clearly, it's not someone who has seen my Youtube videos.



You can't see in the picture, but I wore #14, the same number as Troy from the High School Musical movies. I started cracking up when the players started quoting the movies without knowing it, when they said things like, "Come on boys!", "Let's Go Team!" (both of which are things Coach chants in Now or Never) and "What time is it?" I swear, if anyone said, "Getcha head in the game", I would have died laughting.

I got in two shifts, but only one shot. It bounced off the rim, sadly, which was our sixth off-the-rim shot in a row. "With all the bricks the Sems have, we could build a new church!" the announcer said. Oh well!

My family showed up, and everyone had loads of fun. It's all for charity, anyway, so it doesn't matter if we lost for the third time in a row. Next year, we'll win!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool pictures! I recognized you without even reading which person youn were ... probably cuz I watch your vlogs. Basketball is awesome; I play it too.

Roberta said...

=)) wow, i'm sure your proud of your basketball uniform, haha. all your fan's are rooting for ya michael! :D

Anonymous said...

HA HA HA HA HA!

Anonymous said...

Am I the only one who can see all the picture EXCEPT the one's with Michael in them?

Anonymous said...

yeah, i can't see all the photos either :(

Michael Gray said...

Benedict apparently deleted some of the duplicate photos, which means all the photos got renamed. Can you see them now?

Anonymous said...

yep, i can see all the photos now (:
thanks, michael!

Sweetsundae11 said...

I couldn't keep myself from laughing on the photo of the competitors. One of them was an old man! (2nd from the left) =D

Anonymous said...

Michael, your the coolest person on youtube! Keep the vids. coming!!!! Did I spell "coming" right? sorry my spelling is terrible