Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Three Books I Edited While On Retreat

So...where was I before I was confronted with "The Mystery of the Coffee Maker from Ellen", again?

Right, I was on that silent retreat. Well, I'm not a fan of retreats because I like to do things, so what I did on the retreat was spend some time editing/transcribing books. Here are the three books I finished with on the retreat:

1. Eternal Life, by Henry Drummond is a 20-page tract by a professor who compares the idea of eternal life in Herbert Spencer's biology (ie. Darwinism) to a Bible verse that has the words "eternal life" in it. His conclusion is that Science and Religion should become BFFs, because they both agree on what eternal life is. Not the most interesting of books, but I like the conclusion.

2. Pope Adrian IV, by Richard Raby is a biography of the only British pope, who lived in some pretty rough times during the 1100's. Today, the Romans are fond of the Pope, but back then, the people of Rome wanted to give up on Christianity and go back to having Caesars and the Glorious Roman Republic. Over the course of their rebellion, the Romans stoned one pope to death, and the next pope was run out of town by an angry mob and force to flee to France.

...Yeah, no one wants to become Pope when things like that are going on.

Pope Adrian IV had a hard time getting things back in working order again, with the dubious help of the German King Frederic Barbarossa. King Freddy not-so-secretly wanted to take over Italy, so most of the time, he was looking for an excuse to declare war on Pope Adrian, instead of helping the Pope settle his problems.

Take into consideration some of the real-life soap operas that were going on in European countries at the time (example: Prince Charles of Sweden/Gothland seduced and married the fiancee of King Nicholas of Denmark, then he tried doing the same thing with his brother's wife AND her sister), and I think we have the grounds for a fairly dramatic movie.

3. The Life of Blessed John B. Marie Vianney, Curé of Ars is a brief autobiography about Saint John Vianney. He's the patron saint of parish priests, and he is probably best known for being one of the greatest confessors ever. People came from all over the world to have him hear their confessions, and as a consequence, he often spent over 12 hours a day hearing confessions. He was such a good priest that the people of Ars refused to let him retire, and they foiled all four of his attempts to escape from town.

It's the Year for Priests this year, so it seemed like an appropriate time to work on this book.

2 comments:

Roberta said...

oh, okay well that is intersting,and i agree with you, no one would wanna be a pope at that time. yeah something to do when your bored i like to be social also:)

Hippodameia said...

Oh, you like history too? I love it. You should have mentioned Barbarossa and the antipope Victor IV. I find that story hilarious; it's so ludicrous! I'm reading a book about Catherine de' Medici right now. She gets a bad rap for the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre and her alleged poisoning of several noblemen in power, but there are always two sides to a story. It's really interesting.

I've never heard of Saint John Vianney, though. I'm not Catholic, but I still find the lives of saints fascinating, particularly the weird ones. I'll have to look more into him.

The first book sounds pretty nifty, too. I've never had a problem with evolutionism or creationism. I don't see why the two can't coexist. I won't get into that, though. I don't know how sensitive you are about it. Most of my friends strongly disagree with me on the subject.