Saturday, January 30, 2010

Orthodontist, Josie and the Pussycats

Recently, while making a writing a Rock Band joke article for GameCola, I realized something.

I am a fan of Josie and the Pussycats. </updates his Facebook>

I used to read the Archie comics in the waiting room at the orthodontist's when I was younger. As a general rule, the people at Dr. E----'s make you wait twenty to thirty minutes, call you into your seat, make you wait another five minutes, then they look at your teeth for two minutes and the appointment is over.

I haven't been to the orthodontist's in years, even though I really should go back and see if they'll finally let me stop wearing a retainer every night. But I really don't feel like paying $100 to wait for a half-hour, so I don't go.

The long wait is made extra-painful because you have to listen to the women at the office babble about the most inane things. Last time, I heard a five-minute debate on "how it's difficult to know what day it is by looking at a calendar". Actually, that's WHY the wait is so long. Instead of working on patients, the orthodontist women babble all day long. If they could stop talking and start working, they could easily triple their productivity.

So, yes, I spent a lot of time reading the Archie comics at the orthodontist's. Archie comics are pretty good. I like the normal Archie series, I don't like the Sabrina series so much, and I like the Josie and the Pussycats series. It's got a pretty good character lineup.

[Side note: Jughead's my favorite Archie character. Jughead Double Digests all the way!]

I know they had a Josie and the Pussycats TV show back in the 60's/70's, but all I knew about it was the theme song. I watched a bit of the show on Youtube, and basically, they changed the characters and everything so the show works just like Scooby Doo (which was made by the same company). It's still kind of an entertaining show, but I prefer the way the characters are in the comics. Their original personalities are the more interesting ones, you know? Seeing Alex become a Shaggy clone is kind of a shock.

At least Alexandra, Josie and Melody made it through the Scooby Doo personality transfer relatively intact. I always thought they were the most interesting characters, anyway. I would have given Melody a different voice, though, because she has rather unique dialogue in the comics.

Sample Melody dialogue: "Isn't it a wonderful day? ♫"

It's fun to try to figure out how to say Melody's lines. How do you speak the musical notes? I always figured it meant she's using a sing-song voice. Alas, they completely avoid this issue in the TV show and give Melody a normal voice, which is much less fun.

While looking up the TV show, I found out something really surprising. They made a spin-off TV series called "Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space", which could possibly be the greatest spin-off concept ever. The theme song has now been firmly implanted in my mind.

Theme Song #1:



Theme Song #2:



The second theme song is better, because it shows how they all got lost in outer space to begin with. Plus, seeing Melody and Alexandra rock out to the theme song at 0:18 is entertaining. I always like it when the characters of a TV show dance to the theme song.

The Archie Comics people haven't made any new Josie comics in years, unfortunately. I'm guessing it's because they're still lost in space. Maybe they're hanging out with my space clones? That'd be cool.

For now, the best way to see Josie and the Pussycats is to buy an Archie double digest and hope to find a few Josie stories inside. They sometimes put a Josie or Sabrina insert in the double digests. I tend to thumb through a double digest before buying it to see what the insert is, because if it ends up being a 50-page Li'l Archie insert, I am NOT buying that double digest.

[Side note about Li'l Archie deleted because this blog entry is far too long as it is]

Oh well. Even if we haven't seen much of them lately, I'm sure Josie and Pussycats are probably still out there, somewhere, rocking out like they always do.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading Archie comics (especially Betty & Veronica's & Little Archie's digest)!!! I have like over a hundred of them lying at home ^_^ Unfortunately I have stopped buying them because they are now just too costly. Have you seen the new modern look for the characters?? Its kind of hard to adjust to their new looks LOL. I like Josie and the Pussycats as well, my favorite character is Melodie!

Hippodameia said...

Ugh, I can't stand people like that. I know it's sexist, but most of the people who maintain those ridiculous conversations are... *drumroll* women. Even when men are having their stupid conversations, it's about something interesting like an action movie or comics or, you know... "guy stuff" (the idea that there is different "stuff" for men and women just doesn't make sense to me, but whatever).

The conversations are bad, but what probably gets to me the most is the insincerity. You can often hear it when they say, "Have a nice day!" and paste on that awful grimace of a smile.

One time when I went to the orthodontist, the receptionist there thought my mother was my grandmother, which probably bothered my mother more than it bothered me (or the receptionist). Hehe.

Paul said...

Whoa! I didn't know that the theme song from the movie was taken from the cartoon.

Roberta said...

I have nothing to comment by this post

Emma said...

ARCHIE COMICS! Yesss! I named my dog Archie after everyone's favorite redhead :)