Thursday, November 5, 2009

YouTube News

1) Youtube is apparently under fire from an army of robots that are intent on labelling every video as "zero stars". They have attacked the videos on my account and my other account (see #3).

I find it odd that the word "robots" is used to describe these events. I mean...are these just computer programs, or are these actual humanoid robots that are intent on hurting humans, just like in I Robot (and its sequels O Robot and U Robot)?

Now I'm worried about robots taking over the world. Why did scientists make robots aware of Youtube? That's just asking for trouble. They should have stuck with making nice robots like Miles the Magnificent Memory Machine in Nancy Drew: The Haunted Carousel.

2) My next Youtube video project is a three-part video covering the fifteen puzzles that appear only in the British version of Professor Layton. Funny spelling and accents ahoy!

Actually, the only character with a different accent in the British version is Luke, the little boy. All other voices are the same. British Luke sounds weird to me, but I'm told by British people that American-doing-a-British-accent Luke sounds weird to them.

3) For those of you who don't know, I also make video walkthroughs for GCDotNet. Unlike the Arglefumph channel where I play only E-rated adventure games, the walkthroughs I've done for GCDotNet are mostly for platformers like the Mega Man series and Duck Tales 2 for the NES.

I've also done some T-rated games like Deja Vu and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. I've been wondering for a little while now if I should move a copy of the Phoenix Wright videos onto my Arglefumph channel.

Pros:
  • It's an adventure game, like all the other games on the arglefumph channel.
  • It's a mystery game, like most of the games on the arglefumph channel.
  • It's a very popular game.

Cons:
  • It's a murder mystery game. There is blood and violence, and it is rated T for Teen, whereas all the other videos on my channel are E-rated. It might not fit well with them.
  • A lot of little kids watch my videos, so they might accidentally see these videos designed for older gamers.


I've been going back and forth between deciding to and not to put the videos on my channel. What do you blog readers think? Here's Case One of Phoenix Wright, and here's the more interesting Case Two, which should give you an idea of what the game is like. Keep the videos on the other channel? Or bring them over to the Nancy Drew channel?

13 comments:

emily said...

you shouldnt put the games in your arglefumph channel... your right, some little kid might see them and get creepy nightmares or whatever... ohh and do a walkthrough for monkey island series!! (but only the third and 4th... the second and first are soooo lame....)
peice around the world for generations!!!

emily said...

*peace

Paul said...

What?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

The first two are amazing! And so is the third one! Only the FOURTH one isn't worth playing!

Ciara said...

I haven't heard of that game, but I guess since I'm really not a gamer, the only exception is MarioKart and Nancy Drew. ;D
I think that should keep it on the other channel. You already have a lot of subscribers and hits. :)
I didn't really like the essence of the game. But of course, that's my opinion. And it is your channel after all.

Katharine said...

I think that you should put them on a different channel. I recenly truned 15, so I could watch them, but I know a few 10 year olds, my little sisters, who LOVE your videos. Please keep them on a different channel. :)

Laura said...

I say join them to make it easier for fans of ALL of your walkthroughs to watch videos on one account instead of having to switch back and forth. It's not like you can't warn people about the content/rating of the games. Besides, if someone sees something they don't like there's a a very simple solution to that problem... exit out of the video and find a new one to watch. Another option would be to add all of your Nancy Drew walkthroughs on your Blogspot page so younger viewers won't be exposed to inappropriate content on YouTube or possibly put a link on both YouTube accounts for easier access since, as you mentioned in your Blogspot post, some people don't know that you have another account. However, you've obviously been weighing the pros and cons and it IS your channel so, you can do with it what you wish. I enjoy your walkthroughs and commentary for all of the games that you do. Keep it up Michael and have a lovely day.

Anonymous said...

I really like your walkthroughs and im only Eleven but I like your videos i can watch those games. Different channel defentially. I have a question. How much blood is in that game? if there is i just wanted to know cause i show my friends ur videos and i want to know if it is ok to show them. there all my age though.

Anonymous said...

Im 13 and LOVE your videos! Whenever i seriously get stuck, first thing i do is go to youtube and type in "arglefumph (game name here) (part here)" Your so awesome Michael! XOXO

=)

Alisa =) said...

I love you! Your vids are so awesome! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your movies are great for whenever I'm stuck on my Nancy Drew games!
Curse of Blackmoor Manor Rules!

Anonymous said...

I play Phoenix Wright most of the time. It's really fun and exciting!

Anonymous said...

I just got the Miles Edgeworth game and (giggles) there's stuff about Edgeworth that's funny. :D Hint: Examine the thing near the flowers in the first Miles Edgeworth case.

I said...

I think if you do put Phoenix Wright on your Arglefumph channel, then you should put a warning on the videos.