Friday, July 31, 2009

Movie Previews

I'm going to go see Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince with my friend Marianne tonight. I didn't like the movie the first time, but I'll enjoy talking the whole time and annoying Marianne by doing things like chant "Emo! Emo! Emo!" whenever Draco appears onscreen.

So I'm going to make sure to pick a seat that's far away from anyone else. As they say at the start of the film, "Please don't spoil the movie by adding your own soundtrack. Let us spoil the movie with a half hour of previews."

Boy, movie previews are annoying. There's a preview for a new Sherlock Holmes movie that's attached to the Harry Potter film. I like Sherlock Holmes--I've got a copy of the original 1926 The Complete Sherlock Holmes set made after Arthur Conan Doyle died.

Unfortunately, the preview for the Sherlock Holmes movie disappointed me. Holmes seems to be drunk throughout the preview, and there is far too much attention given to scantily-clad women. "Too much attention" here being defined as "any attention whatsoever"--sexism and entertainment are two different things. So I don't have high hopes for this movie.

---

In respones to the book-related question on my last blog post, I will say that I have not read "Inkspell", "H.I.V.E.", or "Heck". I have read "The Lightning Thief", which was more fun than a barrel of monkeys, as well as "Harry Potter" and "The Lord of the Rings".

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

he he he your funny

Anonymous said...

Emo! Emo! Emo! xD
Draco was REALLY emo in this movie.

Anonymous said...

I know! Sherlock Holmes does NOT make out with ANY kind of women. If you don't know what I'm saying just watch " The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes " It's a old movie of Sherlock Holmes, and you might find the beginning intresting. (Maybe.)Anyways back to the trailer, sherlock Holmes isn't that much of a jokster! ( Sorry if I'm wrong on some of these! :) I probaly don't know much about S.H. as you do. )There's also a VERY GOOD ( and I mean GOOD :) ) book I just finished reading! It's called Sherlock Holmes and the Baker Street Irregulars : The Fall Of The Amazing Zalindas. (!) I LOVED IT SO MUCH! It was so entence, interestering and exciting At the ending of the book there's a bunch of stuff you can read like"Cast of Characters", " Slang Glossery","Cockney Rhyming Slang"(An explanation and insructions for creating your own") ,"The Science Of Deducation"(Sherlock Holmes Mind at work),"The Art of Disguise"(Hats),Victorian Carriages,Coaches, and carts(How Detectives and other citizens traveled) ,Acknowledgments and finally "about the authors "! If you want to know what the cover lookes like,it has S.H. and a few of the Baker Street Irregulars, a hat and a whip are at the bottom.(By the way the book is mostly about the Baker Street Irregulars, but is still REALLY good !) I hate it when there's two diffrent kinds of covers for ONE book and you never know if it's the second book or something!OH! You should do a walkthrough for the S.H. series! (Could you start with Sherlock Holmes: Nemesis. I'm really stuck on it. Even my brother is stuck on it and he's OLDER than me!)

Michael Gray said...

I _want_ to see one of the Sherlock Holmes movies and/or play the games...but I haven't done it yet, for some reason.

erik carlson said...

yeah I'm really nervous about the Sherlock Holmes movie. I don't trust that Guy Ritchie guy. I think actors like Basil Rathbone and Jeremy Brett really nailed portraying Holmes. The computer games are fun too. I recommend Sherlock Holmes: Nemisis (aka Sherlock Holmes vs. Arsene Lupin) because it has a lot of English landmarks and history in it. You might have to play the previous game before that called Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened to understand something at the beginning of Nemisis but the Awakened is a bit dark. Either way you should check out the games and Sherlock Holmes rules! I agree about the sixth Harry Potter movie. it was all right but I didn't really like it. Personally I think books 5-7 aren't that good and the movies can only do so much but that's probably just me. I prefer the first three books and the first movies because they absolutely nailed the world for me and really filled me with imaginative wonder. which Harry Potter booka/movies are your favorite?

Patricia said...

The Sherlock Holmes movie looked weird.That guy kinda looks like Jeremy Irons.I didn't really get the plot either.But, who am I to criticize? It looks like a good movie
Also I agreeabout the HP books 5-7. The author( who is an absolute GENIOUS)keeps on adding more,and more, and MORE characters, and I get really confused. P.S.-My fav. book is Chamber of Secrets, and my fav. movie is Chamber of Secrets/ Half-Blood Prince.

Patricia said...

Michael, try seeing "Young Sherlock Holmes". It's him when he is , like, 16.It's SOO good . It is a must see.

Tallulah said...

Whoah. And I thought I wrote long comments! Well, I agree with you about the Sherlock Holmes movie preview, Michael.
Bye,
Tallulah