Friday, July 17, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

So I saw Harry Potter #6. I know the movie is going to get tons of rave reviews, but to be honest, I didn't really like it.

Most of the film is a romantic comedy about Ron/Hermione and Harry/Ginny. Which I guess is okay if you like that sort of stuff, but it feels out of place in a Harry Potter film. It felt sort of out of place in the book, too.

Where did it come from? I mean, I can't say, "Oh, well, of course Harry likes Ginny in Half-Blood Prince. He's always wanted to be her boyfriend." because Harry has said about three sentences to her over the course of books 3 through 5. Same with the movies, where Ginny spends most of her time hovering awkwardly in the background of scenes. The idea that Harry and Ginny are a "meant to be" couple, one of the fundamental points of the romantic comedy nature of the film, just comes out of left field.

And it also bugs me that the movie establishes the fact that Ginny has a boyfriend (Dean Thomas), but then it doesn't get mentioned again. That is, she doesn't break up with Dean, like in the book. So...she's kinda flirting with Harry the whole movie, even though she already has a boyfriend, which you think would be a major deal. Instead, it's a dead issue. I don't know why.

I complained about this to my sister, but she told me to shut up.

I suppose the Ron/Hermione drama is a bit more understandable, because it was set up in the fourth book with all the Yule Ball stuff, where Ron hurt Hermione's feelings by being an insensitive buffoon (I don't know what she sees in him, to be honest). That's basically exactly what happens in the movie, although it's now helped along by characters who exist only to get in the way of the dream couple.

I suppose that romantic drama is popular right now, what with the Twilight series. Speaking of which, Draco Malfoy throws aside his role as evil villain in this movie for the role of tragically misunderstood emo guy. Get prepared for several shots of him being moody, and of him pulling the curtain off a cabinet. Yeah, you're going to see the curtain-pulling shot about five times in the movie.

The other half of the movie is Harry and Dumbledore's Most Excellent Adventure, where Harry and Dumbledore team up to do a bunch of random things that Dumbledore doesn't explain very well. As Harry says, he's learned to "just roll with it".

I dunno, I've never been a fan of Michael Gambon as Dumbledore. It kinda feels like he still hasn't decided how he wants to play the role, and so Dumbledore changes his personality with great frequency. One minute, he'll be friendly towards Harry, and the other minute, he'll choke Harry while yelling "HARRY! DID YOU PUT YOUR NAME IN THE GOBLET OF FIRE?" I still kind of get that feeling in this movie--sometimes it seems that Dumbledore cares about Harry's feelings, and other times he forces Harry to do things without even asking if Harry wants to or not.

There are a bunch of other questions I have, like "What's with the flying black smoke that breaks windows?", "Why do the Weasleys stand still and do absolutely nothing for a few minutes while their house is being attacked?", "Since when is there a wheat field and a swamp right next to the Weasleys' house, anyway?", "What the HECK is up with the Snape shushing Harry scene?" and "Why does Alan Rickman (Snape) act the exact same way in every single scene in pretty much every movie he's in?"

So, overall, I'd say, "Meh." It's not like it's a bad movie. It's just not for me, because I don't like seeing Harry Potter get all romantic comedy, and I don't particularly care for Movie Dumbledore, and those two things make up 90% of the film. It was definitely not worth the six-month wait for me.

15 comments:

Michael Kelley said...

I agree! I mean, since when did Harry Potter become a "chick-flick" .... Okay, I have no idea what I'm saying..... I've never read or watched Harry Potter before.... lol... :) :D

Anonymous said...

I've never really been interested in Harry Potter and going with that, I haven't really been allowed to. lol But when I see previews for these movies I always kinda want to see them when I know that I'm more of a Narnia/Lord of the Rings girl, so you have no idea how much it helps to read a review like this in the sea of "Harry Potter is so amazing no matter what!!!" reviews! :D Thanks for sharing your review!!

HLB

Anonymous said...

not to sound too judgemental but that kind of sounded like rita skeeter. but don't take this the wrong way, you do make it sound like the video isn't very good but it does have some fun parts.

emily said...

hey i want u to listen to me and please please think about this, i used to play this game that i am 100% sure u will love!!! its called the "monkey island" saga and its not about mystery but its all fun and u need to think alot! im telling u when u finish ur first one you will be dying to play the next!!! try to find it in ur library if u want, and i recomend start from the 3rd : "the curse of monkey island", than move on to: "escape from monkey island" and than try to find the new one that i never played but im sure its really fun.
its about pirates and about this stupid guy who wants to be a pirate and i think u will really enjoy the humor in this game. ohh and if u do play this game, please consider doing a walkthrough for it. thank u!!!
-emily

Anonymous said...

With the black smoke question, isn't it kind of obvious that its the death eaters flying in their black smoke disguise? I mean it was in the Order of the Pheonix. The movie its self? I loved it, though since I recently found out Dumbledore is gay (J.K.Rowling said in a documentary), seeing him do certain things was a little unsettling....

Anonymous said...

The black smoke things were the death eaters and the Weasleys stood there because, I mean, what can they do? There house is on fire, yeah, but they can't stop it.

Michael Gray said...

Awh, but people can't fly in the Harry Potter universe. That's why they make a big deal out of it in Book Seven when Voldemort starts flying.

Sure, the Weasleys could have stopped it. They could have conjured water or done the Super Repair Everything Spell Dumbledore does in Slughorn's house, and they could have tried to stop the Death Eaters from causing any more damage. But instead, they just stood there and watched it burn.

emily said...

michael what did u think of what i said?

Patricia said...

I loved the movie! Although when Alan Rickman(Snape) shows his evil side, I'm all like," Too bad. He was sooo cute!" I LUV ALAN RICKMAN!!!!

Dariox97 said...

Yeah, and the scene when draco goes all emotional and starts crying because he killed a bird... and they switch tonks to luna in the part of the train, where harry is all petrified... and also he explains almost nothing abot horcruxes!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I dont think that the movie focused enough on the half blood prince/Harry's potions book. In the book it seemed like they really wanted to know who the half blood prince was but in movie there was only like one scene that talked about it. Also I was mad that they didnt show all the memories in the movie. I thought the memories were important.

Patricia said...

And also, Snape finally gets the defense against the dark arts job, but they don't show any scene's with him!That really annoyed me, because I am a HUGE Alan Rickman fan. HUGE.
"Don't let the turkey's get you down!"
I luv Alan Rickman!!!!!

krw1792 said...

I agree with the person two comments up, and with you Michael. The title is "Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince", not "Harry Potter and the Love-Sick Students". The movie should've focused on the potions book. Then in the end Snape just kinda dropped the bomb that he was the prince then kinda ran off. Yes, that happens in the book, but the movie just kinda randomly put in parts like that. it was like the Prince's book was just a sub-plot when it was meant to be the MAIN plot.

Patricia said...

I totally agree!it's the half-blood prince movie, but you don't really pay ayyention untill Snape's all like,"I'm the half-blood prince". when that happened, I was just like, "WHAT??"

Tallulah said...

Whoah! Spoilers galore! I'm going to go see the movie ASAP before I read any more! Actually, that's a lie. I'll probably keep reading other posts just because I've been away for four weeks without a computer.