Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Book Reviews

On my last entry, anonymous asked if I read Matilda. Yes, I did. And I'm using that as an excuse to bring out some old...

Book reviews! What I did was go to the library and find unknown books by known authors! That is, I found three books I never heard of by authors I have heard of in the B-C-D section.

---

The Magic Finger by Roald Dahl

This book is about a family called the Greggs, who like to hunt. The narrator gets mad at them for this, and turns them into duck-men. They then build a nest for themselves. The experience teaches them that hunting innocent birds is bad.

I feel bad for not liking this book. I mean, it's got the typical Roald Dahl fun wackiness, but it just feels like there's something missing from the book. Like half of the book got thrown out accidentally, and it was the half of the book that had an actual plot. What we're left with is a short, utterly predictable romp with barely any life in it. Slap it together with one of Dahl's other short books, and I'd call it even.

Tiger Eyes by Judy Blume

I read the first five or so chapters of this book before stopping. It's about a girl whose father was shot and killed in a convenience store hold-up, and it is depressing as hell. Every page gets more and more depressing until I decided I didn't want to take it anymore. Superfudge, this ain't.

Mitch and Amy by Beverly Cleary

So this book is about two twins, and it alternates between each twin each chapter. It's typical Beverly Cleary stuff about fourth graders and mini-adventures they have to go through, such Amy having to make a pinata for girl scouts, or Mitch getting in a fist fight with a bully. Why this book isn't well known, I have no idea. It is just as good as any of the Ramona books, except it's a tad better, being longer and keeping fresh better by the alternating chapter scheme.

---

So if you have to read one of those three books, read Mitch and Amy.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard of any of these books, but I do like Beverly Cleary. I'll have to read Mitch and Amy.

Also, Micheal, have you read any Agatha Christie books?

Scott Wilson said...

i like to read mystery books like sherlock holmes, Agatha Christie and nancy drew

Patricia said...

Have you read " Inkspell", "H.I.V.E.", or "Heck" ?All of them are awsome books. How about Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings?I LUVVVVV Lord of the Rings!!!! I am a Lord of the Rings freak.
ORLANDO BLOOM+ ELIJAH WOOD+ JOHNNY DEPP+ALAN RICKMAN+ MICHAEL GRAY=
TOTAL AWESOMENESS!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

*Gasps* Micheal!! You swore!


Lol srry

~~Aleuay~~

Alex said...

Did you read the lightning thief? If you did write a review and if you didn't READ IT!! LOL

Anonymous said...

H E DOUBLE TOOTH PICKS

Anonymous said...

do you like the pink panther?

Anonymous said...

if you had three wishs what would thay be?

Anonymous said...

Micheal what's your fave food?

Tallulah said...

Lots of questions!!! Well we know Michael won't be bored for a while!

Patricia said...

Good qwestions!Has anyone seen the Lord of the Rings movie? It is my fav. movie ever.
ORLANDO BLOOM and ELIJAH WOOD are sooooo cute!!!!

Sweetsundae11 said...

Have you ever heard of a series called the Nancy Drew series? From what I hear it is a pretty good series. Anyway, I love Roald Dahl books. Have hou read the B.F.G.? Or Danny, Champion of the World?

Patricia said...

does anybody read the Hardy Boys graphic novels?
Does anybody know what Manga/Anime is? I am a Manga "nerd".